Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
I had to downgrade from Mojave to High Sierra because of the lack of CUDA drivers. I just tried opening iTunes and locate my iTunes library, but it won't open because "The file "iTunes Library" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Update your macOS to install the latest version of iTunes."

As mentioned, updating my OS is not an option. The only support Apple Support gave me was to tell me to restart my library from the ground up, which is daunting considering the amount of music I have, and all the playlists I had. Does anyone have a better solution?

For information, I am running MacOS 10.13.6, and my version of iTunes is 12.8.2 (and as far as I know, the version of iTunes I had on Mojave was 12.9.x)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
No backup? Use older iTunes Library file Home/Music/iTunes Library/Previous iTunes Libraries/ Won't that work? Duplicate backup file with date just before upgrade and put it in iTunes Library folder.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
As The Man says. You need to dump the current .itl file, and replace it with an older version from the /Previous iTunes Library folder. You'll have to rename the file to its standard name. Usually the file you want is the most recent old copy, but depending on what you've done, it might be a couple/three revisions back. Have a backup handy of both new and old .itl files before you start messing around.

Reactions: ApfelKuchen

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
I don't know why, but the most recent previous library dates back to September 24th 2018...

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Finder sometimes changes creation/mod dates for no apparent reason. Sort by mod date, and the .itl you want should be should be one of the top few listed with a date before your unpleasant "upgrade" experience. If you added any music around that time, check whether it is still there. Usually the diffs are just play count changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.