iTunes library with multiple devices

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kellen, Apr 9, 2011.

1. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

So I have an apple tv, iphone and ipad. Used to keep smaller versions of movies on my MBP, but I sold it. Now I just have a MP.

So how do you keep multiple versions of the movies organized in itunes?

When I get a movie I make a DVD rip that is kept as backup, then an apple tv version through handbrake that is put into itunes for streaming to the apple tv. Having a 16 gb iPad makes keeping these movies at 2-5gb not feasible.

How does everyone else do it?

Only thing I have come up with is use handbrake for ipad version, put in itunes, sync to ipad/iphone then delete. Kind of a pain, but if its the only way...

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

if you don't need to have the actual content physically on the iPad, you could use apps such as StreamToMe to stream various video formats to the device.

the FileBrowser app will let you access your content remotely.

3. kellen thread starter macrumors 68020

kellen

I would like to have it physically on the ipad, as its only a wifi version.

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

if HD space is a concern, you could store the files you converted for iPad on an external. assuming copy files ... when adding is enabled in preferences > advanced, drag the files from the external into an open iTunes window while holding the option key.

this will cause iTunes to index the path to the location of the files, but not copy them into your designated iTunes media (or music) folder.

as for organizing, you can add "for iPad" etc. to e.g. the grouping field (via get info) so as to keep the versions apart.