Itunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by y0ukn0ws1t, Oct 24, 2011.

1. y0ukn0ws1t macrumors newbie

I have just got a new ish macbook and need to set up itunes with my music.

It's stored on an external hard drive.

I'd like to be able to keep the files on the ext HD so to save space on my internal hard drive.

Could anyone help me out with this process?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Look on the advanced tab of the itunes preferences panel. You will find the options you are looking for there.

3. EricT43 macrumors regular

I would suggest doing the following:

1. Set your library location to a new folder on your external drive.
    2. Check the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder"
    3. Import all of your music files into the library. Note that this will create duplicate copies of all of your music in the iTunes Media folder, which iTunes will organize by itself. It could take a while. But I find that it is easier to let iTunes manage the library in the future, which is why I do this myself.
    4. At this point you could safely delete your original music files, but I would wait a week or two and make sure everything is working properly just to be safe.

4. simsaladimbamba

Have you read the original post yet?

5. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I have my library on one external drive which is getting full. Is there a way to move it to a larger external drive without itunes going crazy and telling me my devices are assoicated with another library? Thanks

6. y0ukn0ws1t thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers ScoobyMcDoo & simsaladimbamba (not sure how to reference you)

Forgot to disable autoplay, now i have 300gb of files trying to transfer/play!

Also accidentally deleted a few, can't believe the trash folder doesn't have a simple restore function ala windows, apple can sometimes be deliberately obtuse

7. y0ukn0ws1t thread starter macrumors newbie

One final question, i'll try it here before i start a new thread

I've read that if i open itunes without my ext hd connected, it will attempt to find all of the missing files, and create some kind of duplicate when it can't?

Obviously I do not want to try this out.

does it happen?

Can i stop it happening?

thanks again