iPod touch Itunes library

Guacamole

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I have my library and files on an external hard drive.
Sometimes when I want to add a cd to the library it will copy onto a library on the C drive rather than my Itunes library on the external hard drive, I have to go to preferences and again choose the itunes library on the external drive.

Why I tunes doesnt remember every time where I want the library to be?:confused:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Is your iTunes Library on your external drive, 100%? (see preferences)

When ever I import a CD it imports to my Library which is set on my external drive?

Comment

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I have my library and files on an external hard drive.
Sometimes when I want to add a cd to the library it will copy onto a library on the C drive rather than my Itunes library on the external hard drive, I have to go to preferences and again choose the itunes library on the external drive.

Why I tunes doesnt remember every time where I want the library to be?:confused:
You will see this behavior if you start iTunes and it cannot see the external HDD for whatever reason. This could be because iTunes starts before the HDD is mounted and available or because you start iTunes when your HDD is not connected.

In any event, if iTunes cannot find the external HDD it will auto switch the media location to the default C: drive.

Comment

Guacamole

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
You will see this behavior if you start iTunes and it cannot see the external HDD for whatever reason. This could be because iTunes starts before the HDD is mounted and available or because you start iTunes when your HDD is not connected.

In any event, if iTunes cannot find the external HDD it will auto switch the media location to the default C: drive.
I always start the external hard drive first and then I open iTunes

Comment

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I always start the external hard drive first and then I open iTunes
Starting the drive first is one thing. Making sure the filesystem containing your iTunes media is mounted is another. Depending on the HDD and other factors, filesystems on an HDD will not be available the instant you power on your external HDD.

Comment