itunes library

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Jul 29, 2012.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

how many retina macbook pro users store their itunes library on their macbook pro vs an external hard drive?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

When mine arrives, I will not keep any media (pictures, music, movies) on the rMBP. Those all will be kept on a LaCie 2Big thunderbolt drive set. Any music or photos I want to show to others will be on my iPhone and/or Ipad.

I will use the SSD space to capture photos on field trips. Once I process them in Lightroom I will upload them to the LaCie drive set.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

I haven't kept any media on local storage in years and years now. I'm certainly not going to out any on my RMBP.

Google music streaming and airvideo on my HTPC serves all my media over the air.

4. defsquad macrumors regular

funny this topic cropped up.. i was wondering the same thing. i had always had all of my media on a separate computer setup as a nas, etc. well, i was doing some system maintenance and like an idiot lost all of my media. just means i'll be re-ripping for weeks again, but it made me rethink my setup and consider getting a spotify/rdio/grooveshark type of audio setup.. i had always been a snob about audio quality (everything to flac and alac), but since i was just using audiogalaxy or subsonic at work to listen to my collection i was getting lower than lossless quality.

all that to say, i'm going to stick to keeping all media on the media/file server, but considering not re-ripping all of my music, only the stuff i'm actively listening to, and supplement it with one of the above mentioned all you can eat music services.

but having the 512gb ssd in my rMBP does give me the flexibility of keeping some stuff on here if the desire arises.

as far as video goes, bluray ripping takes a while :( no way around having to do that all over again.

long winded response, but would like to know what you ended up doing.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios