iTunes like app for video?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thebiggoose, May 27, 2007.

1. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

Does anyone know of a good video management applications? I have tried Democracy Player but I haven't been able to get it to work right. Here are my needs:

1. Plays a multitude of formats (h.264, divx, xvid,).
    2. Allows for a hierarchical management system.
    3. Can work with aliases/an external drive.

I don't wanna reconvert all my video or make reference movies.

2. littleb2005 macrumors member

1 there only 2 player for macosx i know that play those files vlc or mplayer

vlc is highly recommend

2. not sure what that is but if it 4:3 and 16:9 vlc should mange it

3. vlc should manage to load them off the external drive not sure about aliases

vlc can be skin to look like itunes

those 2 apps may not have the full itunes feel and look but there the best 2 video players for mac

3. thebiggoose thread starter macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

I don't mean a video player. I already use both VLC and mplayer. I need an organizing app.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If you get Perian for QuickTime, then presto iTunes is a video organizer that can play the formats you requested. It manages the video for you, you can create playlists and browse or search for them in various clever ways, and it automatically copies and stores the movies inside it's own iTunes folder OR leave the videos wherever they are, depending on what setting you choose. You can tag them in tons of ways, rate them, have them randomly selected, whatever you'd like... They'll also all work from Front Row if you have such an equipped Mac. I don't see what more you could want than what is offered by this program you already have.

5. littleb2005 macrumors member

avi do not work in itunes and i have perian installed

divx, xvid which means they 2 are out the window

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You can already manage your video's in iTunes, can't you? Or would you prefer not to?

8. littleb2005 macrumors member

u can't do it with avi or the format he added which was divx xvid because itunes refuses

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh yes, after installing Perian, to get your DivX movies into iTunes, simply rename them, removing ".divx" or ".avi" or whatever, and replacing it with ".mov" as pictured below:

Picture 1.png

This doesn't actually convert it, but tricks iTunes into thinking it's a QuickTime movie, and since iTunes uses QuickTime to play it's movies, and Perian extends QuickTime to play DivX movies, it will work anyways:

Picture 3.jpg

I guess I forgot to mention that important part.

10. littleb2005 macrumors member

does not work for me are you draging the whole movie over or a shortcut

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The whole movie. Just rename the movie to whatever it was called before .mov and it should work, so long as you have the ability to play the movie in QuickTime player. If you can't play it in QuickTime player, then it isn't going to work in iTunes.

Also remember, that iTunes' default setting is to copy movies (and songs) you import into it's library into the iTunes folder automatically, so after you successfully import it, you can delete the version you have on your desktop or wherever.

12. littleb2005 macrumors member

he whole movie. Just rename the movie to whatever it was called before .mov and it should work

done it but itunes refuses to copy them over and they are playing in quicktime

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well I don't know what you're doing then... it works perfectly fine for me (as you can see).

14. justG macrumors member

justG

@thebiggoose. I've been searching for a decent application for this purpose for *ages*. I've encountered exactly that problem with apps like iDive and its ilk: they're all limited to "formats that Quicktime can play" instead of being able to handle whatever I throw at them. Extremely frustrating. If you happen across something that actually works, please do update this thread.

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The renaming .divx files to .mov does work as you can see from my screenshots.

16. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

I am interested in this as well.. I have over 300gb of videos, mostly in xvid and divx and would really love a similar app to what the OP is requesting.

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Can some of you other folks who are replying without reading the whole thread try the renaming thing that I've been doing and tell us if it works for you as well?

18. jive macrumors 6502a

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

doesn't work for me either, no .avis in xvid. lates iTunes, latest perian.

20. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I don't uderstand what's wrong with FrontRow.

I have all my movies (multiple formats) on an external drive. Add the Divx codecs, 3ivx, and perian to the /Library/Quicktime folder, then create an alias of your external drive or folder where you keep your movies. Then put the alias in the ~/Movies folder of the home directory, and there you have it.

I separate my movies by Genre into folders (e.g. Action, Drama, Comedy, romantic comedy, suspense, horror, thriller, etc.), then Those show up in Frontrow Hierarchily.

You can also add folders for TV Shows, TV Series, whatever you want.

Best,

Brian

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What? That's so weird! Why would it only work for me?

22. Yuvi macrumors member

The extension change trick will only work if the file type is set to what AVI files are, 'VfW ' IIRC. Otherwise, QuickTime will only consider the .mov importer and of course fail to play it.