iTunes-like sync for jailbroken apps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by -aggie-, Apr 1, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Has anyone ever developed software to be kind of like iTunes for syncing jailbroken apps? Pkgbackup can be used to back them up, but it would be nice to have visual evidence like iTunes gives you. I copied the folder for jailbroken apps to my Mac as an additional backup but that doesn't have the settings IIRC. I also used aptbackup for the settings, before you tell me that. I just wonder if anyone has put all this together to make something more visual.

2. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

3. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have no idea what you're talking about.

4. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

This would be nice. I'm surprised nobody has come up with this.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Jailbreak Apps are fundamentally different from App Store apps. Because of the sandbox, App Store apps are each entirely self-contained. All their files, etc are within the individual .ipa. Jailbreak apps, by there very nature, make changes and additions to system files and frameworks throughout the filesystem. They are interdependent in a way that App Store Apps are not, so that they can't be individually synched or restored without affecting other apps (not to mention the conflicts that could be introduced by restoring backed-up dependencies). I'm just not sure such an app would ever be workable.

6. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

It was just a thought. Thanks for clearing it up.