itunes limera1n needed

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Cap41, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Cap41 macrumors 6502

Do you need itunes in the process to use Limera1n? I use a mac. I can use someones PC that does not have Itunes on it.

2. Kayan macrumors 6502

No iTunes usage necessary when I JB'd, but lewys is right, you might need the functionality. I thought it might be better not to have iTunes so that it doesn't keep popping up in the middle of ra1ning it...

3. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

i just read you had to have itunes 10.

dont know if its true or not

4. canamera macrumors newbie

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't LR only available for windows right now?

5. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

you are right but he doesnt want to use it on a mac he wants to use it on a PC

6. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to Jailbreak on a PC. I would still sync and back up on my MAC and Itunes...is this possible?

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I'm really confused here. Backup/sync your iPhone on your Mac. Install iTunes on your PC then hook up your phone but do NOT sync; the iPhone should just appear in the left column. Open up Limera1n and complete the necessary steps.

The only thing iTunes will do is say "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode...etc..." Nothing should be taken off or put on.

Then just plug it back into your Mac when you want to sync again. No damage done. :)

8. Cap41 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wanted to know if you needed Itunes on the machine you were using to Jailbreak your Iphone.

I want to jailbreak on a friends PC. THen I would like to use the phone as usual on my mac, sync music, back up etc.

Is that ok.

I thought I read that you need Itunes installed on the computer you are using to Jailbreak.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you need the latest itunes version.
    Download and install it before you run limerain.
    If you dont have itunes at all it wont be able to find the correct drivers for you iphone in order to thru with the JB process.

10. mcqueen macrumors member

I jailbroke mine with an older version of iTunes running. I'm by sure if it was necessary, I didn't touch the program at all, just the limera1n window

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Ok I can partially answer your question.

I have a Mac which my iPhone is synced with. But through Bootcamp I have 7 installed.

I jailbroke just now and while I have itunes installed it never was required to be opened during the process or sync my phone.

Back on my Mac partition now I synced and no issues just as I did before. No restore. Just left off just where I was before the jailbreak.

--

Short answer - Even if you jailbreak on someone else's computer it won't interfere with what computer your iPhone is associated with since the process syncs / restores your phone through iTunes.

Can you install without iTunes? Don't know. I already had it installed, but worst case just install iTunes it and uninstall it if your friend doesn't want it.