iTunes limit import formats?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umbilical, Feb 4, 2014.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, is possible limit some formats to itunes, by example I DONT WANT ANY .mp4 in itunes (yes I dont want videos on itunes!!!) I have my media folder with music and videos, I just want import the music!

by the way is shame that itunes dont read .flac

any help? thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I keep all my videos in a separate folder, and simply don't import that folder into iTunes. It's a very simple solution.

3. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you

yes I know but!!!! I want ALL the stuff of X band in one folder! anything related with the band in one folder! if not you have 2 folders by band... one for videos and one for music... thinking is better say "OK I go to Beatles folder... I know that everything related with beatles is in that folder"

see this example with this band on my media folder "FANG"
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gifrm8953h6l8j5/Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 1.41.30 PM.png
    see 2 normal folders of 2 albums and! one folder called _video that holds of videos of that band... of that way everything related with that band is in one folder...

the problem is, when I import the whole media folder to itunes... he read the _video folder and boom! move to other places... so bad, so I want of some way limit .mp4 .mov etc... you know video, and just allow .mp3 .alac or .aiff etc... music files... for video I use VLC

see other example of my HD... media, in this case the _video of this band is a VOB (a dvd rip, vob files) so itunes in that case dont read that! so that great itunes dont move anything https://www.dropbox.com/s/usdz4rrnje7fz0g/Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 1.46.49 PM.png

maybe you ask why I use _ underscore with video... is for keep the _Video folder in the top of all music albums.

any suggestion is welcome but for me this is the way of keep all organizated.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced

Uncheck "Keep iTunes Media folder organized"
    To keep your manual folder structure.

5. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

good and I know too! but I like the itunes organization, is really great change a name in itunes and he change the folder name too! etc...

I try using in finder searching trying to exclude .mp4 and drag the results to itunes... so of that way dont add .mp4 BUT I dont know how exclude files in finder search, any help?