iTunes local backup encryption vs iCloud backup

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by pafell, Oct 10, 2012.

1. pafell macrumors newbie

pafell

Hello!

Long, long time ago I have chosen to encrypt local iOS backup for both my iPhone and iPad in iTunes. However, sometime after iCloud rollout and "Cut the cord" feature implementation, I have changed that setting to iCloud backup.

As a result, in iTunes I have two options checked: to backup my devices using iCloud and to encrypt local backup (option for local backup is obviously not selected).

My problem is that I have forgotten my encryption passwords. I do remember my iCloud login and password though. Now suppose something wrong happens to my iPhone - would I have any problems or issues restoring it from iCloud backup?

Thanks in advance!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

No, it only pertains to the local backup on your computer. Just uncheck it, and re-check it and it should ask for a password. Pick one you will remember and make another local backup. Delete the old one when done to save disk space.

3. pafell thread starter macrumors newbie

pafell

Phew, good to know that I won't have any trouble :)

However, I cannot disable the encrypt feature as I need to provide the old password. Is there any way around it? Like, remove those backups manually and make iTunes think I never wanted it to encrypt them?

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

My bad. I thought once I just unchecked it and it asked for a new password. It's been years.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3091672?start=15&tstart=0
    Says if you checked save in Keychain just view it there.

5. pafell thread starter macrumors newbie

pafell

I don't have it in my Keychain :(

What would happen if I were to simply delete it from iTunes folder? (I suppose I can find that backup somewhere) Would iTunes go crazy and the sky would fall on my head? I don't really care about the contents of that backup - my current backup is in iCloud. I just would feel better if I had control over my local backup.