iTunes locks up and can't force quit (unplugging iPod doesn't work)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DMHokie12, Apr 10, 2008.

1. DMHokie12 macrumors newbie

I am having a problem that a lot of people seem to be having. My iTunes will randomly lock up and won't let me force quit. This cause my computer to be unable to restart and I have to hold the power button to cut it off. Many people have corrected this problem by removing their iPod from the dock. I have not plugged in an iPod in for a few weeks now and it still does it. I have also tried repairing permissions. Doesn't work. I have searched the internet trying to find a reason but have come up empty. Does anyone have any other suggestions as what I should try?

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Don't know how to solve the problem, but you should be able to kill it via its PID in terminal, without having to reboot

3. DMHokie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the command for terminal that would kill iTunes?

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

you first type

to find the PID
    then exit top
    and type

kill PID#
    (ex: kill 405)

in linux when that doesn't kill it, i usually do
    kill -9 PID#
    (ex: kill -9 405)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. iSightG5 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue with iTunes and multiple other apps (safari, Neo office, mactheripper, ect). It usually happens about twice a week (would probably happen more if I didnt have limited Mac usage during the week).

6. DMHokie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

My iTunes locked up again so I tried to kill it through terminal like you told me to, but that did not kill iTunes. It closes the window but in my dock it still appears to be running and won't let me force quit. This is really aggravating that I can't close the program.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

try

sudo kill -9 PID

if that doesn't work, that itunes is one powerful thing!!! :eek:

8. DMHokie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to use sudo kill. It managed to close the window just like using force quit, but it still says that iTunes is running in my dock and under the force quit application. I cannot run iTunes again without doing a hard shutdown on my computer because it still will not restart.

9. shawnathan macrumors member

shawnathan

Same problem...

I had the same exact problem, very frustrating. My iTunes library is stored on an external WD firewire drive. If I had my iSight plugged in at the same time as my external drive, itunes would always lock up, followed by my entire mac. Had to force shut down with the power button. There must be some conflict between the iSight and my drive, or just a problem with plugging in 2 firewire devices at the same time. If I leave my iSight unplugged until I need it, I have no problems whatsoever. Are you using multiple firewire devices?

10. sailon macrumors newbie

It may not be iTunes that's the problem...

I had a very similar problem. I had previously installed a visualization "plug-in" (is this the right term?) that checked online sites for local concert information and showed a calendar. When I sent AppZapper after that visualization application, the iTunes locking issue was resolved.

Another thought - have you installed another add-in like CoverSutra or Last.FM? Maybe worth a shot to uninstall these sorts of programs to see if it helps.

11. DMHokie12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have nothing plugged into my firewire. The only things I have plugged into my USB is a printer and my mouse. I have not recently installed any programs that would cause this problem.

12. dhd macrumors member

dhd

I have the Itunes lock freeze while parallels is running...I dunno if is related to your problem but the effects are the same: itunes freeze, beach ball, and the computer freeze as well...hard shutdown is the only solution. I find interesting that itunes doesn't freeze at all, i mean it keeps playing whatever playlist was playing before.
    i have also y library on an external firewire drive.

greetz

13. staninfrance macrumors newbie

iTunes locks up

I've been having irritating challenges with iTunes since the last update--the one intended to prevent Pre users from accessing the Store. I don't have a Pre telephone, so that is not my challenge.

Usually when I am downloading podcasts that I subscribe to, after a few minutes the little colorful ball starts spinning and spinning. I then can do nothing. I have to push the start button to shut down and reboot.

It happens almost daily. It seems to be happen only when I am downloading news subscribed to podcasts.

Since I had no problems of this nature before, I wonder if there is a bug in iTunes.

Stan Kossen, from California