itunes loses my purchases

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rtztgue, Feb 10, 2011.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

I just had it happen again today. An audiobook I purchased from the itunes store mysteriously disappeared from itunes. This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened. It does not seem to lose my other music or files, just purchases . I have imported cds and they seem to be fine. Basically I get the error message..."itunes cannot find the files associated with this media. Would you like itunes to search for the files" I hit yes, but the files are long gone. The folder was still there, but it was empty.

I am starting to think that there is something with itunes that dumps the files so you have to purchase them again. (not really, but it does seem odd) Because apple does not let you re-download an itunes purchase for free. And yes, I made a backup, but it has been awhile so i have to go find that backup disk etc.... Darn inconvenient.... I learned that after the first time itunes lost some of my media...

2. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

My lovely wife reminded me that we also lost a couple of cd's. Seems to happen when we update itunes. I have itunes try to find the files but it comes up with nothing. I also have windows look for the files as well. it comes up with the file folder, but the folder is just empty. I guess I am going to have to be more organized with my backups, and file them by date, or after each purchase. It would be nice if itunes went to unlimited download..... they could treat it like the apps and let you download it again. My ps3 even does that with games and such. As long as it is to the same machine and my account its fine. Oh well..