iTunes majorly drains battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klb028, Jun 24, 2007.

1. klb028 macrumors 6502

I've been importing my cds into iTunes for about 20 minutes now. My battery life is going down like crazy and I am only left with 75% already. It says I have an hour and 15 minutes remaining. Is this normal? It's the ONLY thing I am doing.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It takes a lot of power to run the optical drive and the processors during song importing. Try turning your screen brightness down

3. beginner0 macrumors member

I think it's the CD. And/or maybe the importing, but shouldn't be iTunes.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Not surprising, really.

You're using the optical drive, perhaps the biggest battery-sucker in a notebook. Then comes the hard drive, which is also spinning. The screen is on. The CPU is crunching data (aka encoding songs). And if you are playing music, your speakers are using power too.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I agree that it's probably the optical drive that's mostly draining your battery. Try using iTunes to just play music and see how well your battery fares.

6. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the clear up. I never thought of those reasons... pardon my lack of common sense for a moment, haha. I should turn the display brightness down too like adrianblaine suggested.

7. Sopranino macrumors 6502

The issue is definitely the optical drive, those things are battery pigs. iTunes itself is actually built to run in an energy efficient mode if it detects that you are running on battery. iTunes will attempt to load as much of the music that you are listening to into actual RAM to minimize disk access. As you were ripping CD's into iTunes I don't thing there is anything that you could do to reduce the impact on your battery life. (short of plugging it in to do the job)

Sopranino