iTunes - making or applying a personal default column layout

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajpl, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ajpl macrumors regular

I've been searching without any joy to find a simple solution to changing the default display of the columns in iTunes to one I find usable. Also a way of applying a layout I prefer to all my playlists, folders etc that already have the unwanted Apple layout would be great or even as a fix if you cannot change default layout.
    I like to use
    No. - Checkbox - BPM - Artist - Track Name - Time - Album - Genre - Year - Rating
    Having to manually set this for every single playlist, folder etc is seriously time consuming and involves a lot of tedious pointless clicking as iTunes thinks this rubbish layout is what I want
    No. - Checkbox - Name - Time - Artist - Album - Genre - Rating - Plays

Thanks for any pointers.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you change the layout/column order in the "Library" pane it will make that the default layout for playlists.

3. ajpl, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

ajpl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. I'd never have worked that out as I rarely use the entire library, so hadn't altered that column.
    I'll just make a new playlist for all those with the old layout and move contents, easier than rejigging columns if you use keyboard shortcuts.

4. ajpl thread starter macrumors regular

I've been playing around with different views and iTunes, only to discover it then doesn't hold to my preferred default if using album thumbnails with list view[Cmd+Alt+3] despite say the cover flow view option behaving nicely. I'd understand if iTunes moved Album column to front and left all my other columns alone, but why change the rest to something I do not use/want?
    So it looks like I have to redo all my current playlists yet again which are quite numerous. :mad: But at least I've reset the default which works for any new playlists. Thank God I've not added all the playlists yet.
    This is why I've avoided using the wretched programme for so long as it still feels like a version 1.0 piece of software, but as there's still no real option if using a Mac, I've had to bite the bullet and use it.....
    If Traktor had a shuffle mode for when I want to be playing music in background, whilst doing other work I could probably avoid iTunes altogether.

So does anyone know how to make playlist change to a preferred default column layout, other than manually changing every single playlist again?

What is so annoying about this manner of how iTunes works is that it seems if you ever decide to use a different layout for your columns you always have to manually change all playlists, duh! This is an example of why I try to avoid Apple software for any kind of file management. For instance I just realised I hadn't enabled the comment field, so I have to start everything from scratch all over again. Why can't you simply globally apply a preferred column layout? I am hoping you can and I just haven't discovered it yet.

Also why do you have to click always show artwork in every single playlist, which part of 'always show artwork' doesn't iTunes understand, not to mention why would you even not display the thumbnails in a thumbnail view? :confused:

5. ajpl, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

ajpl thread starter macrumors regular

Though if you want to maintain the view when switching between playlists etc then you can use this script http://dougscripts.com/455 to do just that.
    Note maintaining view is nothing to do with the column issue.