iTunes Match after starting Apple Music trial

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by trevoclark, Jul 1, 2015.

1. trevoclark macrumors member

I understand that Apple Music will include iTunes Match functionality for uploading and match your library.

What I'd like to know is your experience if you are an iTunes Match user AND have started your three month trial of Apple Music. Exactly how does this vary from your normal Music app experience on iOS? I'm concerned that enabling the trial period will throw my library into chaos if it attempts to upload my library again. I've seen reports of duplicates. All I can report is 8.4 screwed with one of my playlists only on iOS; it remained correct on iTunes 12.2.

Any light you can shed is appreciated.

2. WiiDsmKR69 macrumors member

WiiDsmKR69

Ugggh.

I had match, and a meticulous library.
    Enabled the trial, and I LOVE apple music.

Now, I'm thinking.. how can I test disabling iTunes match to see what is / isn't included in the "Apple Music Version" of iTunes match.

All the enable / disable settings for iTunes match have disappeared.

3. Blujelly, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

This is on another thread but it's very mixed views at the moment with what Apple music does and it does the same as iTunes Match

I also noticed iTunes Match has gone from my subscriptions and has been replaced with Apple Music

4. WiiDsmKR69 macrumors member

WiiDsmKR69

This post , if true, its quite clear:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-match-is-not-dead-do-not-ditch-it-yet-read-this.1896651/

TL;DR :

Match - will match tracks and store them in the cloud, regardless of where they came from. If you ditch Apple Music, you keep the tracks. DRM Free.

Apple Music - Will match tracks with Apple Music tracks, regardless of where they came from. Not in the Apple Music catalogue? - Will upload them. Cancel Apple Music and you lose all your music. (Unless you kept non Apple Music local copies).

I think AM will work for 80% of people(match wise). There will always be people who like to 'own / store / see' the local content.

5. trevoclark thread starter macrumors member

That link's post is certainly a heavy read. So Apple is keeping iTunes Match functionality around for what isn't in the Apple Music catalog (e.g. The Beatles), and those not using AM. Have you noticed if anything that previously read as "Matched" in your library has changed to "Uploaded"? Basically I want to make sure that AM doesn't take some 5000 matched songs of mine and uploaded them. It seems that if I want to keep things not in AM the way they are yet have the functionality of AM, I can expect to be be paying $9.99/month + $24.99/year for iTunes Match. Seems like until some clarity from Apple comes (perhaps in the form of iTunes actually acknowledging that iTunes Match still exists), I'll hold off on my trial. At least the radios station works.

I apologize if this sounds like crazy talk, and I've spent hours reading every forum post about Apple Music and iTunes Match together, but my library is extremely important to me, and Apple doesn't have a flawless track record of smooth cloud offerings. Hell I've used Macrumors forums weekly, for years, and it has helped me solve serious technical issues, but this is the first time in years I've needed to post (so much so I couldn't even remember what email I used, so new account).

I really appreciate the input on everyone experience.