iTunes match and 3G Data Usage

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by jasonh4451, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jasonh4451 macrumors newbie

Since turning on Match in Oct my data usage has doubled. It seems like Match uses 3G data everytime it plays a song even of its already been downloaded. Before Match I was using a bit less than 2gb per month but in my first month of Match I used over 4gb. My current usage is tracking at about 3gb plus for the month

I use smart playlists to manage what music is on my phone and do most of my heavy downloading over wifi. I don't get why Match is using so much data.

I leave "Show all Music" turned on and have 3G enabled in the Store setting.

I love the service and look forward to Apple fixing some of the obvious bugs.

Curious what others are seeing on data usage

2. Icculus macrumors 6502

My data usage has also jumped up a LOT...I work from home so my 3G use for the most part during the day is very low, so on average its between 200-400MB a month. In December it was around 2.2GB of Data (all through iTunes match as thats what I use for music in my car.) I am glad I am grandfathered in for the unlimited data because I am about to start a new gig which involves more driving and traveling so I will constantly be using 3g for IM just hope I can stay on this unlimited data plan.

3. RealMonster macrumors member

RealMonster

I would assume that it has to do with reporting the song data back to Apple's servers. Every time you play a song now, it has to report back that it was played to keep the play counts and last-played date current. Despite the fact that this doesn't seem to be reflected by iTunes' own link to iTunes Match, it's ostensibly being kept up to date somewhere.

I actually would like to turn off 3G downloading of songs all together. My plan only has 500MB because I'm a sucker Canadian locked into draconian contracts with terrible telcos. :/