Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starkreality70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I am very close to purchasing the new Apple TV.

However, just wanted to ask a question to a few of you that have already bought one.

I have iTunes match ($20 a year), but not Apple Music. I liked the trial, but after 3 months, just wasn't using it enough to justify spending $10 a month.

So, on my Apple TV 3, under "music", as long as I'm logged into with my iTunes account, I see ALL my music on my Apple TV 3.

Now I see Apple Music is available on the Apple TV 4. Do I NEED to buy Apple Music in order to enjoy my music library that's in the cloud via iTunes Match?

Or does the Apple TV 4, still allow me to JUST use iTunes Match to access my entire music library?

Thanks for your help.

-Mike

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Or does the Apple TV 4, still allow me to JUST use iTunes Match to access my entire music library?
Yes. I have Match but not Music. Once you turn on iCloud Music, your entire library is available on the ATV4 under "My Music"

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Yes. I have Match but not Music. Once you turn on iCloud Music, your entire library is available on the ATV4 under "My Music"
I can confirm what Rigby says. In my case I have Apple Music (but use it only for streaming) and iTunes match for my music collection and Apple TV see my iTunes match songs without issue.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
I am very close to purchasing the new Apple TV.

However, just wanted to ask a question to a few of you that have already bought one.

I have iTunes match ($20 a year), but not Apple Music. I liked the trial, but after 3 months, just wasn't using it enough to justify spending $10 a month.

So, on my Apple TV 3, under "music", as long as I'm logged into with my iTunes account, I see ALL my music on my Apple TV 3.

Now I see Apple Music is available on the Apple TV 4. Do I NEED to buy Apple Music in order to enjoy my music library that's in the cloud via iTunes Match?

Thanks for your help.

-Mike

Yes, match works. I've noticed that with updates on my unit it shuts it off every so often and you simply have to turn it on. Its weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.