iTunes Match and iTunes Plus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by testcard, Oct 24, 2011.

1. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Several years ago when Apple introduced iTunes Plus, I took up the offer of converting my purchased tracks to the 256kbps non-DRM standard. However not all of my original purchased tracks were offered the upgrade, and consequently I still have some music tracks at the old 128kbps standard. If I sign up for iTunes Match, and delete the lower bit rate tracks, is it likely I'll be able to download the higher bit rate versions?

2. ttonka71 macrumors newbie

ttonka71

Itunes Match

Yes, you will be able to download to up to 10 devices. But if for any reason you are getting rid of one of those devices, all the content will automatically be erased once a new apple id(New owner) is enter on that device.

3. Snatch77 macrumors newbie

Also worth noting;

1) You don't need iTunes Match to download your previous purchases and it should be available now in the iTunes app on your iDevice(s).

2) Assuming you do go with iTunes Match, you can download the AAC 256kbps DRM-free version of every iTunes Matched song once your library is in iTunes match. Basically a free upgrade to your content. Once you have the upgraded files downloaded, then you should be able to delete your original DRM'd content and keep the upgrades.

To download the files, you'd probably need another computer w/ iTunes authorized to your account and then enable the iTunes Match. That's what I had to do at least. Then you'd tap the cloud icon to download the upgraded files locally.

It is interesting though that your tags and file names remain the same as the original. Files extensions obviously change when going from MP3 to AAC, but they keep the mispelled/missing tags from the original.

4. testcard thread starter macrumors 68030

testcard

Thanks for the suggestions. I just downloaded one of my previous purchases that was always at 128 Kbps and was never upgraded to 256 Kbps. The new download was at 128 Kbps, so there are still tracks in the iTunes store at the old bit rate. It'll be interesting to see if Match offers the same track at the higher bit rate.

5. mactmaster macrumors 6502

I am wondering the same thing. I have a little under 900 tracks that were purchased at 128kbps and would like to get a higher bitrate on those but haven't wanted to pay the $260 to upgrade them. Hopefully iTunes Match will allow downloading those old 128kbps protected tracks as 256kbps DRM free.

6. mactmaster macrumors 6502

iTunes Match does replace iTunes Plus, I'm no longer shown the link to iTunes Plus when logged in to my account. Once iTunes Match matches the old 128 protected track, you can delete the local 128 file and download the matched file at 256 drm-free.