Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonheyd

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004
@omgwut The only thing that worked for me re: getting rid of the ghost tracks was restoring the iPhone. I haven't had the same problem since, but I can't say I actually trust the service yet.

Cue

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
It's been 2(?) days and iTunes Match is in a loop. Constantly matching, idling at some random song, having to press stop only to start all over again.

At some point did all the matching and stopped at the uploading part. Now it started matching again like never happened.

In the process has made some tracks available on the iPhone. In that sense works as advertised, though was expecting that could have the option to update the metadata of the songs including artwork.

So it's not like it will magically transform all your library, creating albums, fixing metadata etc. But will give you the option to update to 256 bit rate and make all of your songs available on the move which is like living the iPod era again.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
here's my biggest frustration/bug:

I have a song in my Match library.
I download it in ITunes on my Macbook Pro.
I then try to click and drag it to my IPhone 4 that's connected via USB.
It won't work.
ITunes says, "You must first download a copy from iCloud before you can transfer it to you phone".

:mad:

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
here's my biggest frustration/bug:

I have a song in my Match library.
I download it in ITunes on my Macbook Pro.
I then try to click and drag it to my IPhone 4 that's connected via USB.
It won't work.
ITunes says, "You must first download a copy from iCloud before you can transfer it to you phone".

:mad:

If you have iTunes Match, why are you trying to add a song manually? You can just download it from the cloud onto your iPhone. If you have iTunes Match on, you cannot 'Manually Manage Music." (If you recall, that was an option pre-iOS 5).

chrissnv

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
Cleanup of cache on iPad/iPhone?

I think there are many bugs with iTM at the moment. One of the annoying ones to me was that my iPad ran out of storage from all the cached music. So I went ahead and removed all music in settings/storage. So far so good I got the space back, but wait where is my music library? It was gone from my iPad, I had to re-enable my iTM on my iPad multiple times for match and wait over 24h for my iTM Library to show up again. :confused:

So here is the question: How can I cleanup the cache without having to go through all of this again?

Next the "caching" itself seems to be very unreliable when you don't have a Super Highspeed Internet connection available, which happens when you travel (these hotel wifi hotspots are slow). This was one of the main reasons for iTM from my side having all my music available wherever I go, but it is not very reliable, guess the download codec has to be upgraded to accommodate this...

Last edited:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I wish I'd never signed up for the iTunes Match service. So far I've had deleted songs, emptied playlists and about six hours worth of my time wasted trying to clean things up.

First it was that a load of songs came up as greyed out in iTunes so I had to re-add them. Then it emptied loads of my playlists so I had to manually rebuild them by importing songs from my hard drive. Now it's killed the playlists again.

Is there any way to cancel the service and get your money back? I think it's time to cut my losses and restore a previous iTunes library in the hopes that everything will be ok. Luckily I haven't dared activate it on my iPhone or iPad. I was expecting iTunes Match to make my life easier but it's made it considerably more complicated and is draining my free time away in a bad way.

Edit: It looks like getting a refund is possible but it results in your account being blacklisted from signing up to the iTunes Match service for a whole year. FFS. In the meantime, I've restored a previous iTunes library file and have all my playlists back but loads of the original files can no longer be found. Why oh why did I sign up to this poisonous service???

Last edited:

Grandbrother

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
I think there are many bugs with iTM at the moment. One of the annoying ones to me was that my iPad ran out of storage from all the cached music. So I went ahead and removed all music in settings/storage. So far so good I got the space back, but wait where is my music library? It was gone from my iPad, I had to re-enable my iTM on my iPad multiple times for match and wait over 24h for my iTM Library to show up again. :confused:
R
So here is the question: How can I cleanup the cache without having to go through all of this again?

Next the "caching" itself seems to be very unreliable when you don't have a Super Highspeed Internet connection available, which happens when you travel (these hotel wifi hotspots are slow). This was one of the main reasons for iTM from my side having all my music available wherever I go, but it is not very reliable, guess the download codec has to be upgraded to accommodate this...
That's exactly what I'm here trying to find a solution to for my iPhone, although I'm only 12 hours into waiting to get my full library and playlists back. And some playlists - sentimentally valuable ones, unfortunately - appear to have been wiped from all my devices permanently thanks to it. This has been maddening. How irresponsible of Apple to release a service that's so obviously buggy and under-developed.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's exactly what I'm here trying to find a solution to for my iPhone, although I'm only 12 hours into waiting to get my full library and playlists back. And some playlists - sentimentally valuable ones, unfortunately - appear to have been wiped from all my devices permanently thanks to it. This has been maddening. How irresponsible of Apple to release a service that's so obviously buggy and under-developed.

If you have a backup of your earlier iTunes library file when the playlists were OK you should be able to recover them. If you hold down Option when opening iTunes you can select a different library file, export the playlists you're missing, then switch back to the main library file and import them.

Larbar

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
Easy workaround for missing cover art

I found if you toggle to landscape or portrait you can get the cover art to show. Agreed that there are a ton of bugs that makes this app almost unusable, one being message center alerts interfere with getting my music to play?! Sometimes have having to close and reopen the iPod player app to get it working. 3G hiccups pause and don't restart music.....no genius!!

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
You guys have made me nervous, I just took the plunge and it looks like there are quite a few bugs with the system.

Fortunately I did backup my current library as well as all the files onto a separate folder in case the worst happens.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
I have itm. The only bug I can see is that on my mac mini it shows one album (may be others haven't checked) as matched. On my iphone4 the album doesn't appear when I go to artists (other albums by the same artist do appear) if I go to playlists (I used to create a playlist by artist) andvthevsongs on that album all appear. I then downloaded them off iCloud to my phone thinking the album would then appear but even when on the phone the album doesn't appear in the album list under artist but all the songs appear under playlist.

I've checked on iTunes and can't see why this would be

Edit: just had a thought, I noticed that a few albums had disappeared out of iTunes (may have been a result of itm or maybe not) all these files were in a folder called compilations (even though most aren't) I subsequently added them back to iTunes. Not sure if that is related. Or not

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
wow! I've had nothing but amazing things to say about iTumes Match! I love it and will deft keep it next year! I have it on ally iDevices! I am sure every service has its ups and downs but to me its mainly ups!

Only thing I had a few bugs with Art work but then that got fixed! so I am good

I've used

Google Play (Music)
Good but artwork is almost a no show! have to upload all your music no matching and doesn't work well on iDevices but on my brothers Android works good! except for the artwork and organization even thought all my music has meta tags and genres and years and art work and everything!

Good Luck with your Music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.