iTunes match confusion???

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by x-evil-x, Nov 10, 2013.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i just signed up for iTunes match because i thought i would save 18 gigs of music on my 32 gig iPad.
    So i sign up and delete the music from my iPad to get that space back. Then i enable iTunes match and i don't see anything.
    If i go into the tab for more on the music app then shared i can find my music that way. But thats only if my iTunes is on with my laptop. What happens when I'm out of the house and i want to play my music? am i missing something here?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

iTunes match confusion???

It doesn't stream the music, you have to download it to have it on your iPad to play.

And you have to add the music to match from some source, such as your computer....then it matches it and you can have it available for download on all your devices.

3. Rigby macrumors 601

Have you already turned on Match on your computer and iTunes has completed scanning and uploading your collection? If yes, all you have to do is turn on Match and the option "Show all music" in the Music settings on the iPad. You should then see all your music with little cloud icons next to the songs. You can now either stream (just tap on the song) or download (tap the cloud icon) the songs to the iPad.

4. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Completely incorrect. I bought iTunes Match for the same reason as this guy.

I have a 16gb iPhone 5S and you do NOT have to download a song to play it, once everything is synced to match (first time takes awhile), they will all be in the cloud, permanently. You can proceed to remove any stored locally and still play it from the cloud.

5. rikscha macrumors 6502a

First of all, all your music needs to be matched or uploaded through iTunes. Only then your music can be viewed on your iPad when you switch on iTunes match. You then have the option of either streaming your music or download it your iPad straight from the cloud. Your iPad obviously needs to be connected to the internet for that either through wifi or 3G depending on what iPad version you have.

6. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

thanks for the false information...

----------

it was just that tab show all music that showed all the music now. Thanks it works fine now STREAMING!!!

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

iTunes Match is one of the most half-baked, buggy, confusing thing Apple has ever released. I signed up for it when it first came out and it was a horror. I tried it again last month and it's still horrible. It erased all my album art, erased all my comments, and even totally screwed up my playlists.

8. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

I agree completely. I signed up for it originally and it totally jacked up my library (play counts, playlists, etc). I restored my library from a backup and waited a few months. I tried it again and fingers crossed, but so far it's been working fine. The only issue I still have is that it seems like once it has album art saved in the cloud, it's impossible to change it without deleting the song and re-adding it.

9. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

My itunes match expires in december and I won't be renewing it. Having thousands of songs is pointless to me now all the artist albums are expanded in chronological order which I have to scroll through.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'll disagree with the last three posts because for me it works flawlessly!

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I love iTunes match however, lately it has been very finicky as far as usability goes. My streams cut off or skip, the songs take forever to upload and they rarely ever match anymore. I feel like apple should have an online tool to let users manage their iTunes match.

12. misterjrw, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

misterjrw macrumors member

Totally agree.

Been using iTunes Match fine for approx 4 months (once I sorted all my music out). I matched lower bitrate songs and downloaded the AAC 256kbps version. All was going lovely.

Then, I had 85 albums to add, and as I'm finicky with album naming, disc numbers, compilations etc etc, I turned off ITM until I had finished faffing around.

I then turned ITM back on, it went through it's scanning process, then promptly told me that ITM is matched with another library, and would I like to match this computers library instead!!! WTF!!!

I said no, and nothing changed for about 24hrs. When I next checked the Mac, ITM had sorted itself out, BUT.....I now had duplicate albums (with only one or a few tracks on it), I had duplicate tracks within albums, and currently, ITM tells me I have 19912 songs in the cloud, but my library only has 19360 songs???

Even with creating a smart playlist with location as not on this computer and location in the cloud - brings no results!!

Wish they would sort this out (along with the odd 1 or 2 songs that won't match from a complete album which is available on iTunes!?!?).

Rant over.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That cracked me up. Back in the day when iTunes Match first came out people with little else to do argued about whether it streamed or downloaded. From a user's perspective it streamed. You tapped the song and it played. From a technical perspective it downloaded to a file and also played from that file while it downloaded. Potatoes <-> Potahtoes.

So folks either don't remember or don't know or don't care. Glad you got yours working. I've had it from day one and never had an issue, but I don't do much in the way of smart playlists or counts or any of that other stuff that historically has been problematic.

14. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

15. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

The only issues I am having is the same album art issue you mentioned, and even some albums will have songs being matched while other songs on the same album are being uploaded.

16. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have tons of albums where maybe 2-3 of say 13 songs are uploaded. I'm not too worried about that though, except for the ones that I wanted to get a better copy of :)

17. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

18. Rigby macrumors 601

Well, from a technical perspective this is called "progressive download". ;) However, this is not quite what Match does: If you turn off Match on the device, songs that have only been played but not explicitly downloaded via the cloud icon will be deleted. I've heard rumors they might also get deleted under certain circumstances as part of a gargabe collection routine to recover the memory, but I don't know if that's true.