iTunes Match & iTunes Radio

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thedeejay, Oct 5, 2013.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Can someone clarify what the benefit is of having iTunes Match is on iTunes Radio. I renew my iTunes Match subscription regardless every year because I love Match. But what effect does that have on iTunes Radio. We get ad-free listening, do we get any other perks? (Unlimited skips?) I don't know. Please explain.

2. TTile macrumors 6502

I think you get ad-free listening and that's it. Apple has to pay per song whether you listen to it or skip it. Unlimited skips could get expensive for them pretty fast.

3. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Ah alright. Thanks for your response!

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I subscribe to iTunes Match and still get ads from time-to-time. I get a bunch of ads for artists in iTunes and a Macy's ad sporadically.

5. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

There are ads in the pre made stations, iTunes Match or not. There should not be ads in your custom stations, and I personally have not heard a single one in dozens of hours of listening since DP3. Make sure iTunes Match is actually turned on on the device.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Makes sense because I only hear the ads on the Alternative Top 100 station. Plus, I don't have actually have iTM turned on.

7. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

anyone know how to fix make uploaded files into matched files? I reburned the CDs and it still uploads the song !!!

kind of annoying

8. WJKramer macrumors 6502

This is incorrect information....There are NO ads with iTunes Match if you are logged into that iTunes account and iTunes Match is turned ON on that device. If iTunes match is not active on your iOS device you WILL get ads on any station on that device.

I personally hate iTunes Match implementation on iOS but if I turn it off I get ads. Bad Apple! Yes, skips are limited to 6 with or without iTunes Match service.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Actually, he's right. You still get ads with iTunes Match (yes, enabled on the device) with the Featured Stations. You don't get ads in stations you select under "My Stations."

10. WJKramer macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm special?

11. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Lucky, or not very observant. :p

If you listen to the Featured Stations enough, you will hear ads, whether iTunes Match is turned on or not.

Since I don't generally listen to the Featured Stations, I never hear ads. But I first heard one on my wife's iPad, and when I checked, iTunes Match was turned on.

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Or not paying attention, or listening to a featured station for long enough, or misunderstanding the difference between a "featured station" and a "my station."

13. WJKramer macrumors 6502

I've added a feature station to my stations and I hear NO ads. Maybe you should be guiding your anger towards Apple that can't develop an online service to save their lives.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You don't add a featured station.

They are predetermined by Apple. In the music app, go to iTunes Radio. You should see a top section that you can scroll through horizontally, starting with "iTunes Top 100- Pop" - with a pink icon. Then "Pure Pop." These are the featured stations, and you cannot add or delete these.

Below that is a section titled "My Stations" - these are the stations you can add and delete.

The "Featured Stations" play ads regardless of iTunes Match. The stations you add yourself under "My Stations" do not play ads if you have iTunes Match enabled.

15. WJKramer macrumors 6502

Select the circled (i) on the now playing screen, of the featured station, and tap "Add to My Stations" or iTunes Desktop right click on featured station and select Add to My Stations.

----------

....and I don't even get ads without adding them.