Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gobigorange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
I signed up for iTunes match today, which is pretty cool. However, on two (that I know of) of my albums it did weird stuff to the metadata that made it split up. On one of the albums, it singled out one song, gave it a different track number, and made it part of a compilation. Afterward, on my phone it looked like two albums. This was an album I purchased from iTunes as well, and I had not altered the metadata in any way. I tried changing it, but when I updated iTunes match, it reverted to the strange metadata. Any ideas?

Edit: I managed to fix it. For the purchased song, I deleted and re-downloaded. It still had the affected metadata, but I fixed it. The key was to not hit "update iTunes match" right away.
For the other album, I deleted the album, reimported, made sure the metadata was right, and updated iTunes match.

Last edited:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I thought match doesnt affect metadata. Id love for iTunes to redo all my metadata because some of mine is missing data, requires lyrics or is just messed up.

gobigorange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
For that album, it looks like iTunes recognized it as the right song, but on the wrong album.

Edit: It looks like I helped myself by not pressing "update iTunes match" right away after editing the metadata.

Edit 2: The other album, I just deleted from iTunes match, and I'm re-importing the CD. I will then make sure the metadata is correct before updating.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I thought match doesnt affect metadata. Id love for iTunes to redo all my metadata because some of mine is missing data, requires lyrics or is just messed up.

I second this. I wish it were an option. I know a lot of people want to keep theirs, but I wish there were a way for Apple to allow overwriting of my own misspelled metadata without lyrics to be fixed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.