iTunes Match - Multiple Mac's

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by quicksilver77, Oct 14, 2012.

1. quicksilver77 macrumors 6502

quicksilver77

So for the past couple of days I have been considering signing up for iTunes match. I have a 60gb collection. Some purchased iTunes songs but mostly ripped cd's. I have multiple libraries on 3 computers all signed in with my itunes account. Will iTunes match look at al lof the music? Say I have the new Killers album on my MBP (and its not on my iMac) will it eventually be available on my iMac? Also this is mostly for use with my iPhone so I can have "access" to my library without having to sync to my MBP. I have read some of the threads here and it seems to be hit or miss whether users are happy with match on their iOS6 devices.
    Thanks

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I am happy with iTunes match. I got it for similar reasons as you. I had some configuration problems with iOS 6, but eventually got it worked out. I enabled it on multiple computers to get all the music from them onto my iPhones and iPad.
    For some reason I think you can only have it on one computer at a time though, but I may be wrong. Whichever computer has it on will be able to see all the music that's been uploaded by all the computers. All your music will be available on your iPhone all the time.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It can be on multiple commuters at once, the matching just won't run on more than one at the same time. If I add something in both my Mac and my notebook, it will give me a notice and I have to pick which one to run it on first.

But I have it on 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and 3 computers, with no problems.

4. NoelF macrumors newbie

This is the exact reason I wanted iTunes Match. Wanted everything from my Mac Mini at home to be immediately available to my MBP and my iPad.

The answer, I think, is yes, but with some caveats. If I'm right, what will happen is that you'll turn on iTunes Match and sync your library from your MBP onto the cloud. However, when you allow iTunes Match to be used with your iMac library, I think it will wipe that library to make way for what's already in the cloud. To avoid this, copy the entire library out somewhere else, then re-add it once you've activated iTunes match. That way, your library gets updated with the other songs.

I'm very happy with it, I'll add, and will be renewing this December.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think you will have the best experience if you first consolidate your library to a single computer and then Match that one library. After that you can have access to the entire library from any of your computers or any of your iDevices. On each computer or device you can stream only or have a mixture of locally downloaded music while retaining access to everything else via the Cloud.

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Yes.

I didn't have the new Muse album on my MBP, had the new Muse album on my iMac at work. After I loaded the album on my work iMac, in about 2 minutes the album was put up on my Match. Listened on the way home off my iPhone and was on my MBP when I got home.

It's seriously the best thing when it works but when it breaks, it breaks hard.