iPad iTunes match on 16g iPad or Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by emembee, Nov 2, 2013.

1. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

I am thinking of taking out an iTunes match sub so I can go for a 16g iPad or mini as this is the bulk of my storage on my iPhone (apart from a few gig photos).

I am unclear though as to how it works on my devices -do I have to set-up all the music on my mac at first that I might want to listen to at a later time on the iPad.? If so, how do I then select what I want - is it all done from iTunes on my mac or can I then access it from the cloud on my ipad (wifi or cellular) so in other words, am I always streaming it? If there are a large number go playlists, it sounds fraught with problems and drop outs.

Would like to hear from others on the ups and downs of match on the ipad, thanks :)

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

When you set up Match, the first thing it will do is scan your library on your Mac trying to match as much music between your library and Apple's as possible. Anything it doesn't match will be uploaded to Apple's servers to become available to you from the cloud.

On any device you access your Match library from you will see the entire library and be able to stream all of your music. If you want to download it to keep it available locally, tap the cloud icon next to the song, album, playlist, etc. and it will download it to the device. To keep a large portion of your music on a device, create a playlist and download that playlist.

3. emembee thread starter macrumors regular

emembee

thanks for explaining. I guess streaming is fine when at home or wifi but out and about is tricky unless already downloaded - 3G data costs would soon escalate :D

4. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I use iTunes Match with my iPhone & iPads, I stream over 3G all the time & it doesn't eat up a huge amount of bandwidth.