Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I'm considering the purchase of iTunes Match to keep all of my music in the cloud, but I have a few questions of how it works in certain scenarios:

NOTE: none of the songs were purchased through iTunes.

1) Mac 1 has a bunch of songs, and Mac 2 (same Apple ID) has other songs. Would iTunes match pick up both sets of music and upload it into one main cloud database?

2) Lets say iTunes match has detected my songs, and made them available in the cloud for me to download. Now if I delete that original song from iTunes, will it be deleted from the cloud as well? Or will it remain?

My hope is to be able to have iTunes match everything to the cloud, and then be able to delete all of my originals.

3) Assuming scenario 2 keeps all songs in the cloud after deleting the original, what if I don't subscribe to iTunes match the following year, (therefore MP3 files are on my Mac, and I can't renown load them from the cloud) but resuscribe the year after. Will my old cloud selection be available? Or would it essentially create a whole new cloud database?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm considering the purchase of iTunes Match to keep all of my music in the cloud, but I have a few questions of how it works in certain scenarios:

NOTE: none of the songs were purchased through iTunes.

1) Mac 1 has a bunch of songs, and Mac 2 (same Apple ID) has other songs. Would iTunes match pick up both sets of music and upload it into one main cloud database?

2) Lets say iTunes match has detected my songs, and made them available in the cloud for me to download. Now if I delete that original song from iTunes, will it be deleted from the cloud as well? Or will it remain?

My hope is to be able to have iTunes match everything to the cloud, and then be able to delete all of my originals.

3) Assuming scenario 2 keeps all songs in the cloud after deleting the original, what if I don't subscribe to iTunes match the following year, (therefore MP3 files are on my Mac, and I can't renown load them from the cloud) but resuscribe the year after. Will my old cloud selection be available? Or would it essentially create a whole new cloud database?

Thanks in advance!

1,yes as long as both use the same Apple ID.

2, you can delete the original. It prompts you when deleting and asks if you want it removed from the cloud too.

3, if you don't subscine you lose everything if no local backup exists.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
1,yes as long as both use the same Apple ID.

2, you can delete the original. It prompts you when deleting and asks if you want it removed from the cloud too.

3, if you don't subscine you lose everything if no local backup exists.

Excellent thanks so much! And just one more, is the subscription automatically renewed each year? I do plan on deleting the originals, but I want to make sure that there will be no lapse to lose any data.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Excellent thanks so much! And just one more, is the subscription automatically renewed each year? I do plan on deleting the originals, but I want to make sure that there will be no lapse to lose any data.

Yes it is. You get an email a week or so before reminding you

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I would recommend to make a backup of your original files. In rare cases iTunes Match may mis-identify songs (i.e. it may match an explicit to a non-explicit version of the same song, or very rarely even a completely wrong song). If you delete the original, there is no way to get it back in such cases.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I would recommend to make a backup of your original files. In rare cases iTunes Match may mis-identify songs (i.e. it may match an explicit to a non-explicit version of the same song, or very rarely even a completely wrong song). If you delete the original, there is no way to get it back in such cases.

Yeah I figured it would be best to do so, I'm a data-phile, so if I'm going to delete something, I'll have it backed up in 3 other places. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.