Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtwhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
I have an original iPad 3G (iPad 1), 16Gb, and most of the time it still runs great.

I also subscribe to iTunes Match, which on my Macbook Air, Windows laptop and iPhone 4S works well.

However, on the iPad 1, Match seems to have slowed down the music app completely. It's sluggish, very very slow, and most of the time won't even play tracks. I have a fairly large iTunes library (around 11,000 songs) and my theory is that maybe the processor in the original iPad can't handle scrolling and managing large libraries.

On the iPhone 4S, I have none of these problems. iTunes Match runs very well, and the hardware seems to handle the large library easily. Both the iPhone 4S and iPad are running iOS 5.1, but I also had the issue on iOS 5.0 previously.

Anyone else have this issue with the original iPad? Any suggestions as to what I can do to improve performance?

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I no longer have iOS 5 on my iPad 1 (safari crashed constantly). You might try deleting all the music off the ipad through itunes and then downloading them through iCloud. My 4S had a weird issue like that. Might be worth a shot.

dtwhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
I no longer have iOS 5 on my iPad 1 (safari crashed constantly). You might try deleting all the music off the ipad through itunes and then downloading them through iCloud. My 4S had a weird issue like that. Might be worth a shot.

I have just tried this, thanks for the tip. I turned off Match, then deleted all the music on the iPad, then reenabled Match. So far it seems to have improved things. I can scroll through my library pretty quickly, and it seems to be more responsive playing songs. Fingers crossed this will make a difference. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.