iTunes Match on two computers

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by frenetic, Aug 4, 2012.

1. frenetic macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have a question regarding iTunes Match. Suppose I have two computers, one iMac and one Macbook Air, with my main library music on the iMac. I keep no music on the Macbook Air, streaming it all from the cloud through an iTunes Match subscription.

Now, what happens when I add music to the Macbook Air library from a non-apple source, e.g. from emusic? If I understand it correctly, it will be physically added to the Macbook Air library, but also to the cloud, no? And hence I can always play that newly added music on the iMac through streaming or perhaps even downloading. And hence I will no longer have on consolidated library that contains all of my songs but the cloud would be my consolidated library?

Frenetic

2. D.C.M. macrumors newbie

"If I understand it correctly, it will be physically added to the Macbook Air library, but also to the cloud, no?"

Yes

"And hence I can always play that newly added music on the iMac through streaming or perhaps even downloading."

Yes

"And hence I will no longer have on consolidated library that contains all of my songs but the cloud would be my consolidated library?"

Yes

3. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply. I don't know how comfortable I am with having my music library spread across devices but maybe I just need to change my thinking about that.

4. D.C.M. macrumors newbie

Yeah, I guess you have to re-change thinking because you do not spread your library across multiple devices -> your entire library will be on all of your devices. The only difference between your devices will be the songs that you have downloaded and temporarily stored on your devices.

5. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with you that's the case in Europe where there is plenty of propper broadband. But I spend a lot of my time in places with flakey internet connections, and hence I don't want to trust the cloud too much :)

6. D.C.M. macrumors newbie

You are probably right. Europe's 3G networks are quite good and almost everywhere available. I can not speak for the US but I have heard a lot.