Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xTRIGGER092x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
So, I attained most of my music through er...less scrupulous methods. More specifically, I use RealPlayer to download Youtube videos of the music, converted them to MP3, and then the details edited in iTunes. If I were to get iTunes Match, would I run into many problems with the service "matching" the music? A few songs may have the beginnings/endings slightly cut off, and the quality may be a bit less than an MP3 obtained from somewhere like Amazon MP3 or The Pirate Bay.

lionelhuts

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
So, I attained most of my music through er...less scrupulous methods. More specifically, I use RealPlayer to download Youtube videos of the music, converted them to MP3, and then the details edited in iTunes. If I were to get iTunes Match, would I run into many problems with the service "matching" the music? A few songs may have the beginnings/endings slightly cut off, and the quality may be a bit less than an MP3 obtained from somewhere like Amazon MP3 or The Pirate Bay.
What is the bitrate of the rips? If they are less than 96kbps, then they definitely won't get matched (according to the iTunes Match TOS).

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
That's one of the most complicated and least intuitive methods of stealing music that I've ever heard.

xTRIGGER092x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
That's one of the most complicated and least intuitive methods of stealing music that I've ever heard.
Yeah, I know. But it's a lot safer, both legally and securely, than to download MP3s on random sites.

Also, the bitrate says 256kbps in iTunes, but it really isn't. I think Youtube uses 128kbps for most videos and the quality of the music varies quite a bit.

itsjared

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas
how big of a library are we talking here?

If it's more than will fit on your iPhone or iPod then i'd try it. otherwise what's the point.

Also if it is bigger than what will fit on your iDevice, then you must have wasted a lot of time getting all of those.

xTRIGGER092x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
how big of a library are we talking here?

If it's more than will fit on your iPhone or iPod then i'd try it. otherwise what's the point.

Also if it is bigger than what will fit on your iDevice, then you must have wasted a lot of time getting all of those.
Not too big of a library; about 600 songs, 4.5GB. About 200 of those were purchased through Amazon MP3 or iTunes; the other 400 converted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.