iTunes Match Question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by heat, Nov 14, 2011.

1. heat macrumors newbie

My song collection is made up of youtube mp3 rips and a few CD rips.
    The songs however do no contain any album names.

Can I use iTunes Match to find the correct, legal, 256kpbs version of the songs.
    Then I would delete the local file, and then download the legal, 256kpbs version from iCloud?
    Would this be possible and are people doing it?

2. mactmaster macrumors 6502

The CD rips will match pretty well.

As far as the YouTube rips, that may or may not work well. Some are posting about trouble matching CD rips so my guess is that YouTube rips will have even more trouble matching due to the potential of YouTube uploaders chopping up and not uploaded a good quality file. I'm sure it will be able to match some but don't expect it to work too well with those files.

3. heat thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have any other experiences to share?

4. VeeFourteen macrumors newbie

Im pretty sure you would have to change all the metadata in order to get it to "look" exactly like the song in the iTunes library.

If you could do this, I dont see what would stop you from downloading the 256kps copy and deleting your old youtube rip. I've wondered about the very same question that you posted but Im pretty sure it will not be as easy as it sounds.

5. Mr.master macrumors newbie

Yes YouTube songs work quite well.

My iTunes library is almost all YouTube songs and 95% of them matched with iTunes and gave me the 256kbps, it even matched a 64kbps song! But with my experience it doesn't give you any information (ie album, artist) so you'll have to fill that in yourself.

6. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Is there a way of listening to your music via iTunes Match as a stream but not downloading the track?

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

In iOS 6 music streams by default rather than downloading as you play it. There is still the option to download music, but it's been made a bit harder to tell which music is local and which has been downloaded, or to download only an individual track.

8. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Oh right, I tried this last night and it showed after that I had over a 100 mbs of music data on my iPad...weird. Thought I was just streaming...!

9. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Just an FYI, it still downloads as you stream.

A simple way to check this is delete all music, stream a song, and check your data for music. It will show the track downloaded.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, kind of. It's true that it does download your music as you play it, but in iOS 6 it is just caching the songs temporarily, whereas in iOS 5 it was actually permanently downloading the songs to your device as you played them. I have not seen the maximum cache size revealed yet, but I'd assume it's probably several hundred megabytes or so, at which point it will start to cycle out older listens with new plays.

In iOS 5, one of the negatives of Match was that as you listened to more and more music, it just used space endlessly, forcing you to manually manage usage. This way isn't perfect either, but it's an improvement in that respect.

11. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Is there a way of changing the size of the cache or anyone know how big it is?