Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I think the answer is yes but want to check before I buy in

1) Can you select certain songs in iTunes to upload to match, upload them and then delete them from iTunes so they are just in the cloud?

2) once they are in the cloud, you can obviously download them to your phone but how do you manage storage if you start downloading too many?

3) how do you remove cloud songs?

4) once the songs are on your phone, can you copy them off using copy trans or other software?

Thanks a lot!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
1) Can you select certain songs in iTunes to upload to match, upload them and then delete them from iTunes so they are just in the cloud?
You could do this, BUT Apple specifically states that iTunes Match is not a backup and you should keep copies of your music.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks, good point. I would keep a copy if my songs but not in iTunes.

Anyone got any info on my other questions? Appreciated :)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
You cannot select individual songs. Match matches or uploads your entire library.
2) once they are in the cloud, you can obviously download them to your phone but how do you manage storage if you start downloading too many?
:confused: Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you run out of space on the device, simply delete some songs. You can re-download them at any time.
3) how do you remove cloud songs?
Delete in your library and answer OK when asked if you also want to delete it in the cloud.
4) once the songs are on your phone, can you copy them off using copy trans or other software?
Never tried it, but I don't see why not.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
You cannot select individual songs. Match matches or uploads your entire library.
:confused: Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you run out of space on the device, simply delete some songs. You can re-download them at any time.
Delete in your library and answer OK when asked if you also want to delete it in the cloud.
Never tried it, but I don't see why not.
You can delete the songs from your phones, but then choose if you want to delete it from the cloud as well. So, you can fill the phone, delete, keep on cloud and re-download later.... or delete, delete from cloud and it won't show up as available in iTunes/iPhone. You can still later get the song without paying as it would say, "Purchased". I don't know if the newest iTunes changes this but it's how it's been for last 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.