iTunes Match replaced explicit songs with censored versions - fix?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by jent, Jun 20, 2012.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I believe this issue was originally reported by several users in 2011 and Apple acknowledged the bug and said they were working on it. Did a fix, whether by Apple or an indirect workaround, ever come around? It's mid-2012 and for a paid service it's a bit ridiculous that the problem remains.

2. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

I have the same issue. I think the easiest fix would be for an option in the Music settings for something like "Prefer explicit songs" or something to that nature...

3. pmau macrumors 65816

The option would be called "Don't ever delete my *********g songs!"

4. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

The bug may lie in the method which iTunes Match uses to catalogue the users songs; I speculate Apple gets the "fingerprint" of a song by analyzing just a few seconds and looking for a match, meaning it often will not even know if it's explicit or censored, and for some reason just prefer the censored version.

I think it's an understandable issue but I can't believe it's been so thoroughly documented for half a year without a fix.

5. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

That might be true but "preferring explicit songs" would fix this. I'm sure Apple, in their infinite wisdom, will come up with something better, but it's been long enough already...

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

Will re-downloading protected songs come over as DRM-free? I still have some .m4p tracks from before Apple went with the iTunes Plus format. iTunes has the option to pay to upgrade those tracks to iTunes Plus, but it's more expensive than a year's subscription to iTunes Match.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes, you can get iTunes Match and redownload those as part of the subscription. They're yours to keep afterwards, too :)

8. elistan macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks for the info.