iTunes match: Smart playlist containing only locally stored songs

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by bristleworm, Jan 1, 2012.

1. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Hey there! A happy new year to all of you!
    I'm using iTunes match and currently I'm having a small problem:
    I decided to delete all the music from my hard drive in order to free some space. Then I redownloaded all the albums I frequently listen to. It's those songs that get synced to my iPhone as well. (I don't want iTunes match on my iPhone as cell coverage is not the best in my region)
    So now I'm looking for a convenient way to display all the songs that are currently on my HD. My first thought was to use a smart playlist, but as of now I haven't found any configuration that works.
    Any ideas?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Bad idea.

3. bristleworm thread starter macrumors 6502

bristleworm

care to explain why? except for my small problem with the smart playlist, everything works like a charm. I'm really happy with iTunes match.
    I now have more than 100 GB of free space on my laptop which is really great.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What if Match loses (deletes, fire, hacked,....) all your music?

There are many other reasons too like sever outage. The PS3 network was down over a month just this summer.

100GB of HD space is worth about the price of a couple of CD's. Buy an external USB HD to backup to.

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

(Location) (is) (on this computer) should work.

6. bristleworm thread starter macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Thanks for the tip. I already have an external backup, so this isn't a concern.

Thanks! I didn't know about the location attribute. Works perfectly!

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Found this thread, but didnt work for me.

I uploaded everything to icloud, and then deleted all local media..Then I downloaded a few playlists for the higher quality...now they are local, but only a few songs pop up in my smart local list...Any idea?

And before anyone asks...I did download my entire library @256 from apple :p

8. micha-el macrumors newbie

Smart Playlist with only songs that are on the iphone

Hallo
    Is there a way to make a smart playlist that shows only the songs that are saved on the iphone?
    Thanks
    Michael