iTunes Match sound quality

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jpetticrew, Jun 18, 2012.

1. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Has anyone noticed that the sound quality in iTunes Match over 3G is not as good as it was in 5.1.1? I know this is a beta, but it doesn't really make sense to me that it would stream a lower quality version to the phone UNLESS Apple is actually working on an adaptive streaming type of deal where it tailors the sound quality to your available bandwidth on the fly?

2. Julien, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Unless something has changed and Apple sends Match at 256kbps. It has been rumored that APple was testing a "new" codec that allows different rates depending on conditions. Maybe this is the case. Hopefully if will offer up to lossless on WiFi like the rumors stated.

EDIT: Here is a link to some info.

A Little more info on the mysterious "Neil Young" codec.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Is there a way to copy a song off the iPhone and check the file format and bit rate (not iTunes of course since it would likely download standard AAC 256kbps from Match and not retrieve the actual file off the iPhone)? This would be great to confirm if Apple is switching codecs with iOS6.

4. jpetticrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I can't say... I was just testing the streaming function of iTunes Match in iOS 6. I figure if you download the song to the device there would be no need for adaptive streams.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Do you have streaming selected or download (not sure what it looks like since I don't have iOS 6)?

6. hashholly macrumors 6502

That is correct

7. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Agreed. The sound quality is terrible when streaming. Beta software. Expected.

8. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

or maybe it auto detects that your on mobile internet and doesn't stream it at full 256 but downgrade it to 128 or 96 maybe to save some data ??

9. jpetticrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

That's what I'm thinking.

10. big samm macrumors 65816

If the next iPhone gets LTE, speed would not be a problem anymore and streaming quality should be the same as wifi...
    Anyone tried this on the new iPad yet?