iTunes Match Step 3 Taking FOREVER

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by orange42, Apr 16, 2012.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I got iTunes Match about a week ago and never completed step 3 where it uploads artwork on remaining songs because I went on vacation and it was taking forever then. So today I went from 2gb to 8gb ram on my laptop figuring it may help somewhat but it's still not even close to finishing.

I started iTunes Match at about 3:00pm today, also assuming it would just go back to step 3, but it started over at step 1 and went through all my songs again, and now over 6 hours later and there has been very little progress made (see screen shot).

Once, if ever, this gets complete, does it have to go through these steps every time I go onto iTunes? That's madness.

[​IMG]
    Why is this taking so long?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Uploading the songs can take a while. And that only has to be done once.

If you add more music to your system, it does have to scan that and upload if necessary, but that's much faster since it's a much smaller quantity of songs.

3. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I have to leave this computer on for seemingly like three straight days at this point cause I think step 3 keeps restarting when I close iTunes? I'd rather not do that.

4. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

Its not just uploading artwork on remaining songs, it's uploading artwork and remaining songs. The time it takes to upload will mainly be due to the upload speed provided by your ISP, nothing to do with the RAM in your computer. What is your upload speed?

As Bear mentions once this step is complete on the initial match it doesn't do it again for your whole library, only on anything new you add after.

5. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So do I basically just click start on Match when I get new music from here on out?

I'm at work and left the computer on all night/today, so by the time I get home I'm hoping it will be done or near close to done.

6. WhatMeWorry macrumors newbie

iTunes Match taking forever

I'm having the same issues. I bought Match over a week ago. I've left my computer on overnight, while I go out on errands, I've set the computer to never go to sleep, but somehow, when I return Match has stopped its progress and when I wake up the computer or push the only button available (start), it starts at step 1, albeit it does rush through step 1. The furthest I've got was halfway through step 3. Just checked now and it's almost done with step 2 (again). So, I guess I'll have to babysit it making sure the computer doesn't go to sleep causing Match to start once again from Step 1. This should really be fixed or my subscription should start from when it completes its work. Maybe a registration could pop up at the end and the subscription and service could start from when you register.

I expected more from Apple on this!:mad: