iTunes Match streaming bitrate?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Miguel760, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Miguel760 macrumors member

Does iTunes Match stream/download at the full 256 Kbps over cellular data on the iPhone?

I tried googling this question but couldn't find a definitive answer.

2. impaler macrumors 6502

I have no idea, but I doubt it, as the goal is probably to hear the music without chomping away at battery or quality. Might be too choppy at 256 - I bet it's 128. Again, I don't know for sure and like you, can't find an answer. Why do you ask?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your Google skills are poor.

"iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to iCloud for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 43 million songs in the iTunes Store, chances are your music is already in iCloud.3 And for the few songs that aren’t, iTunes uploads what it can’t match (which is much faster than uploading your entire music library). Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality."

https://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/itunes-match/

4. Miguel760 thread starter macrumors member

Because i'm debating whether to stick with iTunes match or locally store music on my phone. I like the idea of iTunes match because I have a pretty big music collection but don't like the idea of not the full audio quality.

I called apple care and the rep told me that whether you download the song or stream, it plays at 256 kbps. I'm not entirely sure this is true though.

5. Julien, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In the past just for kicks (I don't use Match steaming) after noticing poor audio quality steaming I did some (unscientific) measurements of LTE and WiFi streaming. I found the LTE coming in under 80Kbps.

Here is a link to that thread.

EDIT: Just to add, I have not used Match streaming on my iPhone since then so can't comment on the way it is now.

6. Miguel760 thread starter macrumors member

Dummy, you think I didn't read that already? I'm asking, if anybody know if iTunes match truly streams/downloads at 256 kbps in a iPhone. I've read that article but i've also read contradicting opinions, so i'm asking if there is a definitive answer.

----------

Thanks, I came across that thread, after I noticed the poor audio quality myself. I get the purpose of lowering the bitrate in order to save data but still kinda sucks for those of us who have good headphones and enjoy things like sound quality.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Cheers for the insult!

iTunes match does not stream to iOS devices only to OS X devices!

If you clear your cellular data log and play a track you will see the approx file size downloaded and played confirms apples statement!

8. Miguel760 thread starter macrumors member

I spoke with Apple customer service and confirmed that streaming over cellular will lower the bitrate. However, if you download the song over cellular, you will get the full bitrate of the matched or uploaded song.

This is great news. I was afraid that I'd be getting subpar sound quality just because I didn't have a wi-fi connection.

Hope this helps others.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

So did customer service confirm full bit rate over wifi?

10. Miguel760 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, they said Wi-Fi will get you the best quality.

11. Peepo macrumors 6502a

It obviously does stream. If I select a song, it starts playing right away and the cloud icon to the right of the track remains. It seems to cache the songs so if one keeps playing the same recent tracks over and over it will not keep using bandwidth. On the other hand, if I select the cloud icon, it downloads the song and the cloud disappears indicating it is downloaded. If I then swipe I can delete, which deletes the downloaded copy and song is available for streaming indicated by the cloud icon again. I can hear difference in sound quality streaming vs. downloading on 3G.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There is no difference in quality. Try it for yourself. Go into the settings and clear music. Then play a song and check the settings to see the file size. Then clear it and download. The file size is the same.

----------

And yes iOS devices save a local cache! Or they download the file!

13. Peepo macrumors 6502a

Ok. Could be in my mind then.
    Did you do test on 3G vs WIFI?

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5 bars 4g signal vs 150Mbs wifi generates the same cached file size