iTunes Match streaming

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by passey, May 19, 2013.

1. passey macrumors member

I've just signed up to iTunes Match and its checked and done the first 2 stages added 6,500 songs. It's just updating album art ATM.

I have turned on iTunes Match on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

On either device if I try to stream I have to wait 1,2 mins before it starts but then it keeps stopping and starting thought a song.

I'm on my home network and have a 60mb connections so it can't be a speed problem.

Are there any settings I need to change to get this to work properly or anything I can do.

Else this service is totally useless I don't have a bog enough iPhone to store all my music on and want to be able to stream any of my music

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I just played a full song streaming it from iTunes Match using my 4S T-Mobile data connection. Worked perfectly playing the song all the way through.

3. passey thread starter macrumors member

its still uploading album art and 2100 songs could that be why if i try to play one thats still uploading?

it only uploaded about 170 songs in 12 hours yesterday.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That could be the reason. I know when I uploaded music to either iTunes Match or Google music, it would slow down my download speeds.

5. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

It will almost definitely be down to the fact that you're currently uploading data.

Even with a 60mb connection (this is almost certainly the downstream speed) the upload speeds will likely be much lower than 60mb. So if you're trying to upload data this will likely saturate your connection, making streaming things to your phone a lot slower than they would otherwise be.

You could try turning Wi-fi off on your phone and then streaming via your phone's data conneciton (hopefully 3G+!).

6. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I had 20767 songs on my itunes before Match. It uploaded 3,000+ and matched over 17K. The whole process took me more than a 5 days with my computer basically on the whole day.

What bothered me was the amount of songs that are uploaded when they have them on itunes. I guess I have the older cd versions( so because I didn't download them illegally they aren't on Match haha). Another thing I hate is how 1-2 songs per a random CD got uploaded and not matched eventhough the rest of the cd did and the name of the song is exactly the same as on itunes.

For songs that are ineligible or error. Just make ACC versions of them and that fixed the problem for me on them. It just took way longer than I thought it would.

What I did that helped speed things along is I deleted all the songs that got matched and it speed things a long.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Since the OP is new to iTunes match it's worth repeating that streaming via your iOS device creates partial AAC files on your device. These will fill the empty space and you might get a message when you're trying to sync or install a new app that your device is too full.

So, every once in a while it's a good idea to turn iTunes match OFF (which deletes the temp files) and then back on.

Perhaps the new version of iOS will have a better system of controlling this. I'm not seeing anything in the iOS 7 beta forum, though.

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Does this show up as other? I notice that my other space keeps creeping up to 3GB or so on my iPad. The only way I thought to get rid of it was to restore once in a while but then it goes back up. The only think I could think of was that it had something to do with the podcasts app but now this makes more sense.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Yes. "Other"

10. WiiDsmKR69 macrumors member

WiiDsmKR69

Let it finish uploading.

I matched / uploaded about 10,000 songs when I enable iTunes Match.

Took a Day or so to work without flaw.