iTunes Match syncing music when disabled in 8.0.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by themikea, Sep 28, 2014.

1. themikea, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

themikea macrumors regular

themikea

I upgraded to 8.0.2 OTA shortly after it became available. I have itunes match enabled and only a couple of playlists actually downloaded on my phone.

I was roaming in the US and started getting text messages from Bell in Canada saying I was at 100% of my roaming data (500MB) within 2 hours of being in the US. Went to cellular usage and saw it was all system services and media services.

Figured out itunes match decided to sync my entire library for some reason. And over cellular. There didn't appear to be any way to stop it. I even disabled itunes match and deleted the music library from storage. It continued to download music!! Even after a reboot.

I had to completely disable roaming data so that I don't have to take out a loan to pay my bill next month. This has already cost me $125 in roaming charges! Anyone seen anything like this?

2. themikea, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

themikea thread starter macrumors regular

themikea

Should have mentioned, this was on an iPhone 6 Plus.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

You probably need to go into the music settings and disable 'show all music' so that the songs not physically downloaded to your device will not be visible. That way you don't have to worry about using data. Unless you uncheck that option iTunes Match will still use data to stream songs even though you've downloaded them to the device already.

4. themikea thread starter macrumors regular

themikea

That setting is disabled already. And iTunes match continues to download music.

5. themikea thread starter macrumors regular

themikea

Ended up enabling/disabling iTunes match one more time and manually deleting the music it had downloaded, and it didn't seem to do it again.

I do understand that having "Show all Music" enabled does list all your music in iTunes Match, but what I am referring to is it attempting to automatically downloading the ALL of actual tracks to the phone without any manual intervention by me. In total this used over 1GB of 3G data before I could stop it, all for something I didn't even initiate.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Disable using cellular data in Settings > iTunes store.

7. themikea thread starter macrumors regular

themikea

A good piece of advice, especially when travelling, to disable Music from using cellular roaming data. However, normally I want my music to be able to stream from iTunes Match over cellular. One of the reasons I have a large data plan.

It still worries me that things are that unstable in this version of iOS and that something like this could just start on its own in the background. This could have cost me a small fortune if Bell hadn't sent periodic text messages about roaming thresholds being reached.

I'm going to contact Apple support for what it is worth, and see what they have to say.

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

It isn't unstable. Just not much granular control over what parts of the music app use your cellular.

9. themikea thread starter macrumors regular

themikea

I agree there is not enough granular control, but I consider it unstable that iTunes match starts downloading my entire music library to the phone without any manual intervention from me. Cellular or Wifi, that is not how it is supposed to work. Even aside from the data usage, my battery was getting killed. My phone was plugged in for 8+ hours prior to that on wifi, and it didn't attempt to sync any music, just started randomly the next day.

10. themikea thread starter macrumors regular

themikea

Apple support didn't have any info on this as a potential bug, but did spend some time looking at my issue including detailed diagnostic info from the phone. They suggested I do a full restore from iTunes and see if iTunes Match attempts to download my entire library again, which I am going to do shortly.