iTunes Match vs. Google Music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 00trayn, Oct 12, 2011.

1. 00trayn macrumors member

I'm getting my first iPhone on Friday and I ordered the 32GB, I felt the 64GB was too expensive right now for me and I already own a 64GB iPod Touch. However, my music collection is bigger than 32GB. I use Google Music right now with my entire collection on it and I read online that it works on iPhones through the browser... and it's free. iTunes match would set me back $25 a year, but it would give me access to all my music as well directly through Apple.

So, which should I go with? Stick to Google Music or invest in iTunes match? Has anyone used Google Music on the iPhone and can comment how well it works? Thanks!

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

There's no Google Music app or integration on the iPhone, so iTunes Match sort of wins by default.

By the way, Match is fantastic (when it works and it's gotten much better since iTunes 10.5.1 beta). I deleted all my music files off my MacBook Air and just use Match to stream. If I need a specific song stored locally (for a slideshow app, etc), I can just redownload the song from within iTunes.

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Google music works through the website but ya, no app yet.

I will use both for awhile and see what I like more but I am betting on iTunes Match.

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Both have pros and cons. I like that you can stream with google but by the time my library uploads iPhone 6 would be out

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

What steps are you doing to stream from match?

6. jamald macrumors newbie

I'd also like to know this. All I see so far is download and 1:30 preview. If there's some way to stream music it might influence my 64gb/32gb 4S decision

7. jaw04005, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I can only get iTunes Match to work on my MacBook Air and iMac. On the Air, all it does is stream music unless I click the cloud download icon. I keep my local library on my iMac.

Right now, it doesn't work at all on my iPad or iPhone running the GM.

8. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

Do counts still work when you stream from the cloud?