iTunes Match vs. Wireless Sync

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Patriot24, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Good keynote - a lot of good news I think. The one thing I'm not totally clear on is the sync situation.

Forstall announced wireless syncing in iOS 5 and then Jobs announced iTunes Match. Are these separate features? If so, why would I be inclined to pay $25 per year to match and sync songs to my iPad from my laptop when I can just sync those songs over my home wi-fi connection?

It sounds like everything else in iCloud is free, so no troubles there with contacts, photos, etc. I know no one is going to have a concrete answer at this point, but I just thought it was interesting that they offered basically the same option (sync your non-iTunes-purchased music to your iDevices) in two formats - one of which costs money. Seems redundant to me?

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I think it's a good trade off, I'm sure it wasn't free for Apple to negotiate syncing music to ALL your devices and I'm pretty impressed they were able to offer icloud for free. For Apple to "match" your existing music for the $25 bucks a year is pretty outstanding IMO as well, personally I buy all my music thru Amazon as they are cheaper so I have a pretty big collection and to know for 25 bucks I can sync all that music automatically is nice. You have a good point in that you can still sync the music manually, but this is all about convenience and when you have multiple laptops, desktops, ipads and iphones it's worth the 25 bucks to have them all sync up with me having to do nothing at all.

The only thing I'm wondering about is what happens to your "matched" music if you stop paying the yearly fee? Can you not play that music anymore? For me I'll probably pay the first year, transfer all my music, then cancel and just purchase my music from itunes from now on. Apple is pretty smart as they are tearing me away from buying from Amazon.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

To my ears they are different. Wireless sync will simply copy your own files to every iOS device. Fine if you have room on each device.

iTune Match sees what you have, then puts a pointer to it's copy of the same song in the iCloud. You pay them $25/year and all your iOS devices (on the same account) can stream them from the iCloud. Stop paying them and you lose all those pointers, but not the ability to access your songs off your home PC. Remember Home Sharing? Turn off Wifi and you'll lose iCloud access, so all the new iCloud features will shorten battery life on iPhones, iPads, and Touches.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I think you will never get the scanned music on your device.

Your ripped CD will be scanned and if you always pay your $25 a year, you will be able to listen to the same tracks streamed from the cloud.

The iTunes track copied of your CD rips will never be downloaded to your device.

If you stop paying then you will lose the access to listen to the tracks.

So you are not GETTING anything. You are just able to listen to your ripped tracks online.

So it's not quite as good as it initially seems.

Unless anyone thinks I have got this wrong?

5. Patriot24 thread starter macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Good points all around. I guess if the answer is "Wireless syncing is not automatic (you initiate it manually)" then the only real difference is that Match syncs automatically and may give you a higher quality version of the song. Definitely two neat features, but basically it comes down to paying $25 per year for an automatic sync vs one that you have to initiate every now and again.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the Wireless Syncing in iOS 5. I find it hard to believe there won't be any kind of automatic options.

Edit: The possible con of Match is that you can only listen to songs while connected to wi-fi since it is streaming from the cloud? It sounded like the file is actually synced from the cloud down to your devices, though. It would be terrible sitting in an airport with spotty wi-fi trying to listen to music if it was pure streaming.

6. Carouser macrumors 65816

Beaten, but iTunes Match is for music you haven't bought from iTunes.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I'm having similar confusion over it, maybe I'm missing something. After the music has been synced the first time, why would one need this feature? If you sync it for the first time over wire or WiFi would there be no need for this service? Or if once you've sync'ed all the data over iTunes Match for the first time couldn't you just stop paying the $25 annual fee when the music is on all devices?

8. Patriot24 thread starter macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Right, I understand that. But I guess what I'm saying is you have two routes for songs like that:

1. Sync wirelessly over wi-fi to iPad. $0
    2. Match scans your library, syncs file from cloud to iPad. $25

Not sure I really get why I'd choose option #2 other than a possible convenience factor if it is automatic and wireless sync is not. Even then...

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

From all the coverage I can find, it was not specified whether this will be streaming or download.

10. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm not sure, but I gathered that it actually downloads the music onto your device if you so choose? I would HATE to have it streaming only as I'm not always in wifi connectivity, I might be on 3g or even out of reception. I'm really hoping for a local download option, and for that to be automatic as I'd like ALL my music on ALL of my devices locally. But if my "matched" music goes bye bye if I don't subscribe I probably won't bother subscribing but will just manually sync that music when I first get an iOS device and in the future buy iTunes.

I think it would be a huge achilles heel if they did not provide a local storage sync option for music, there are just too many times people are not working off of wifi.

11. Carouser macrumors 65816

Because I'm pretty sure you won't be able to do option 1 when you are in another country and your computer is turned off. Say I have 10,000 songs from CD put on my computer. I can sync with them under the same conditions as if I was plugging in my iPad, but it's wireless. Now, if I am at the airport, I can't sync with my computer. I can sync with iCloud, which only has my music purchased from iTunes (but if I pay $25 a year, it has ALL my music).

12. KHC831 macrumors member

"We give that music the same benefits as music purchased in iTunes."

So it's like you purchased the song FROM iTunes. NOT just streaming (streaming is kinda dumb/pointless if you think about it) I'm guessing the annual fee is aimed at those who collect CDs and rips songs.

13. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i buy all my music through Amazon as well, as i find most of what i listen to are cheaper there. what i'm concerned about is how well itunes will match up the more obscure songs and albums. also, i heard that there is no music streaming on iCloud? wouldn't this negate the point of not having to have local storage?

14. BrennerM macrumors regular

The iTunes Match service would serve to get your ripped music into the iCloud but you can then choose which devices you have it downloaded to, and you can download it on-demand at any future time on any device (assuming you have a WiFi connection, I'm not sure it will work over 3G)

Note: iCloud is not a true music-streaming service. You must download the song to your device before you can listen to it.

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

That's good news and what I would expect. It might be not great for those who are running out of disc space though.

16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Re: obscure music - if it's not in iTunes, you'll be able to upload it.

17. boston04and07, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Didn't he say that you could upload songs that weren't "matched?"

Edit: http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Click on "iTunes in the Cloud" and then scroll down to "iTunes Match." It does say that you upload what iTunes can't match, and I don't see anything about a limit.

18. donnaw macrumors 65816

I doubt they are actually keeping a copy of your iTunes music in their cloud. More likely they are just keeping a database/list of your songs. If you have tunes you purchased elsewhere, for $25/year, they will add those songs to the list and if you lose/break/buy another device (or even have to restore as new), you will be able to get the iTunes version of those songs. Assuming the iTunes store has them. At least that's what I get from it.

I assume the same with apps, you info (scores, etc.) will be stored but if you have to redownload it for some reason, the request will be rerouted to the App store. Books and mags probably the same. They won't duplicate content they have elsewhere.

It's actually a pretty simple database design. Docs etc, of course, will actually be stored. I read you get 5 gigs free. Wonder what they will do if someone fills it up?

19. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

thanks. i missed that. i was thinking that you'd be limited to only the songs the itunes store library has. it's great that itunes will play back 256Kbps even if your files are of lower bit rate

20. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

#2 is a great option if you want to own, say, a 64gb Macbook Air and have a collection of 20,000 songs, and not be tied to an external hard drive. It's also a fantastic, *cheap* way to safely store your music. I think it's safe to say for most people who already own, say, an iPod Touch, that they're not likely to switch to another brand any time soon, if ever. This makes perfect sense - stop worrying about keeping track of your music at home and let Apple do that. Now you just download what you want back onto your device whenever you feel like it - WHEREVER you feel like it (as long as you have wifi, that is.) No more worries about dying hard drives. Your computer is just a device to do things on, not a storage device. $25 a year is cheap for this - I can live with the thought of not having those files. Files begone!

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This is still causing confusion.

So let's ask again with a made up scenario. :)

You have 20 tunes on your iPad.
    10 tracks purchased from iTunes and 10 tracks ripped from a CD you bought.

This new system scans your machine, sees the 10 tracks from the CD, and get's iTunes versions of these 10 CD tracks.

Now then. What happens?

Does this system replace, actually on your iPad these new iTunes tracks, so you can do into an area without any WiFi, which is the majority of the country, and you can play these new fresh iTunes tracks as they are nor physically on your device.

Or, does it just allow you to listen to these 10 tracks from the cloud?

I assume the latter. Otherwise why would you continue to pay after the 1st year.

You pay your money, it scans your iPad, finds the 10 CD tracks and give you the right to listen to these tracks from the cloud.
    If you stop paying then you have the right to listen to it from the cloud taken away, and you just have to go back to your CD ripped versions again.

22. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

This is actually similar to my setup and something I've been wondering about. I have a 128GB MacBook Air, (my sole computer), and my entire iTunes library is on an external drive attached to my Airport Express. Does this mean that I'll be able to keep my songs on my computer's hard drive, while still keeping my movies on the external?

23. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I don't understand what is so confusing about this. iTunes In The Cloud will scan for music, find it and what it doesn't find, it uploads. All of this is available to DOWNLOAD and USE on any device that you can sync with. The entire point is to REMOVE the files from your home computer and store them in the cloud, just like apps, files, and OS. "PC FREE" - remember? You no longer need a PC for any part of iOS device usage. ALL of your music will be in the cloud, available to sync to your device for usage ANYWHERE, not just when you are available on wifi to listen remotely.

Scenario: You're driving along and you think, "Damn, I'd like to listen to some Monkees, but it's not on my iPod Touch. Wish I'd thought of that before I left home. Hey, there's a McDonald's, I'll stop in for some coffee and use their wifi to download that from my iCloud." Log in, grab it, and it downloads while you chug some coffee and shove some pancakes in your face, and you're back on the road with "Daydream Believer" blasting on your car speakers.

Make sense?

This is amazing. When this becomes available, i'm going to get a good hard drive, back up what I have in iTunes to it, and then sync it all to iCloud. I'm not worrying about dying hard drives again.

24. Carouser macrumors 65816

Loved the mental image, for real.

People are still hung up on worrying about the 'location' of the digital file. The only question is 'what are the limitations on accessing my music', not 'where are these files downloaded to'. And that's already been answered in the thread, for those who don't get it. Apple also has their iCloud site up, it's pretty straightforward.

25. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

another question.. i have a bunch of music files @ 160Kbps i imported from CDs years ago when hard drive storage was still super expensive, so i had to compress them that much.. now with itunes match.. would i be able to replace my own music files with the 256Kbps files permanently?