iTunes Match with 256k "upgrade" unclear

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Razeus, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

I'm still not clear on iTunes match. Let's say that I have a 128k song and iTunes Match matches it. Does the 256k file get downloaded to my computer/iDevice or does it "stream"

I know people are saying iTunes Match is not a streaming service, but merely a service to download to your iDevices. I'm just sure what they mean by giving the 256k quality file. Obviously they shouldn't be downloading this file to my device...

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

My guess on how it will work is that it will scan your computer, see what non-iTunes purchased music you have, and will sell you everything you have at a discount of $25.

Now, I'm not sure if you'll get to keep that music after the year is up or if it'll disappear or something.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The way I interpret what was said at the Keynote is that if you use iTunes Match, they'll scan your library against what is available on the iTunes store. If you have matches, you'll be able to download 256 kbps (iTunes plus) files onto any authorized device. The files will have no DRM (except for being tagged with your iTunes account). If you let your iTunes Match subscription expire, then you won't be able to to do any further "matching", but any song that you had downloaded will still be available to you via iCloud.