iTunes Match with iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by cpenner, Jun 6, 2014.

1. cpenner macrumors regular

So I went to download my ~3000 songs in iTunes Match yesterday. Generally I can let this run overnight and it'll be done in the morning. Well it was definitely not done in the morning... Only a couple hundred downloaded and the rest were all still waiting to download. They then proceeded to download over LTE even though I was on wifi throughout the entire day, which lead to some unfortunate messages from my mobile provider that I went over my cap and was charged absurd amounts of money. Yay... The odd thing is for the amount of data I consumed, I should have had way more than a couple hundred songs to show for it...

So despite turning iTunes Match off and back on, the songs continued to download at a rate highly unrelated to the data I was using. I managed to delete all of the problem files related to iTunes Match and downloaded iCloud music from my iPhone with PhoneViewer, and I called my mobile provider and they credited me the overage charges, thankfully.

Has anyone else had issues with iTunes Match in iOS 8? I think I might wait for a couple more betas before I try downloading my iCloud music again...

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

It's incredibly unreliable for me as well. Same problem basically.

3. netrom2211 macrumors newbie

Same for me. I restored and din't download any songs this time.
    Wait for beta 2 ;)

4. cpenner thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone bothered to try with beta 2 and had success?

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I'm not shocked by any errors cause it's a beta.

But what I wonder is how iTunes Match will function once iOS 8 and iCloud Drive are live. It seems to me that it would make sense for the music to somehow tie into your drive, at least for things that you have to upload. And perhaps they will fix the situation where you still have to manually download songs when using an iCloud Backup. Seems like they could have some kind of system where it reports matched songs at least as purchases and download them as true purchases do.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This was another reason I reverted back to 7.1.1. Beta 2 and itunes do NOT play well together at all. :mad:

7. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

8. cpenner thread starter macrumors regular

That's awesome. I'll have to give downloading all my music another try

9. mcfly88 macrumors 6502

Just a tip, before turning on match on your phone.. sync all your music through iTunes. When you turn on match, you won't have to download all the music. Doing this is a lot faster than downloading them all through the cloud.

10. cpenner thread starter macrumors regular

Every time I try that, it ends up duplicating everything, so for some reason that never works for me. Is this supposed to work like that?

11. cpenner thread starter macrumors regular

My experience with iTunes Match began with the iOS 6 betas, where enabling iTunes Match would either literally wipe your iPhone of all existing music or result in a corrupt database full of duplicates. I was too afraid to ever try syncing with iTunes first after that.

This link here describes how the functionality changed after iTunes Match left the betas when iOS 6 went public and now allows you to load music on before enabling iTunes Match.

I didn't realize the function had changed. Thanks for pointing this out, it'll be a huge time and bandwidth saver!

12. Yumbo macrumors 6502

Beta 3 and can't see cloud content.
    ideas?

13. biopig macrumors member

Turn off the cellular for Music app to avoid consuming your data. I don't trust the liability of wifi so I copied all music using iTunes on computer to iPhone and then turn on the iTunes Match in iPhone.

14. cpenner thread starter macrumors regular

Settings -> Music -> Show All Music?

15. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

iTunes match is proper broken for me on beta 3. The music app shows a tiny bit of progress then the screen goes comedy black. Reboots etc haven't solved it.

16. ggarnold macrumors member

Same for me - attempts to download songs get stuck and never complete. Reboots don't help.

I tried cancelling (tapping stop button) on all songs, then I got in a crazy loop of "Your download failed - Cancel or Retry?" messages that could not be dismissed.

AND... my iPhone 5 has this power button problem so I couldn't even force a reboot! Had to wait until the battery drained, the messages were gone after restart. (Tip: Ask Siri to increase the brightness to speed up the process ;)).

Another Tip - If you do have the power button issue, you can use the Assistive Touch feature in the Accessibility options to have access to some of the power button based features. You can couple this with the triple-click home feature to enable/disable.

17. Ian10 macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem. Have no idea how to fix it...
    Tried to restore twice but no success.

18. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This issue appears to be fixed in beta 4 and Match now works properly for me.

19. cpenner thread starter macrumors regular

Well apparently in Beta 4, loading all the music on first and then enabling iTunes Match does not work. Enabling iTunes Match seems to have reverted back to its old behavior of wiping all music on the device...