Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chappy87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Southampton, UK
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if you can help me out with some information regarding iTunes Match. Since it launched, I have had my iTunes library sat on a 2007 iMac, and whenever I purchase or download any new digital music, I add it to this computer, and then match the library, which then obviously syncs across my devices. However, I have just sold my iMac, and my MacBook Air doesn't have the drive space to keep my library stored there. I take it everything matched will remain in the Cloud? The next question is that if I am to download a new album, say from BandCamp, onto my Air, open in iTunes and then Match again, will it add my newly added album to the Match Cloud along with all the stuff already there?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

bigmikeyp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
Manchester, UK
However, I have just sold my iMac, and my MacBook Air doesn't have the drive space to keep my library stored there. I take it everything matched will remain in the Cloud?

Correct.

I had the exact same scenario a while back. Once it's 'Matched' or uploaded, it will sit there while your subscription continues. If you decide not to renew for any reason, I believe your content is technically still there, however you cannot gain access to it (unless it's media purchased from the iTunes Store) - If this info is incorrect, please correct me.

Although It may be too late for you, it's always best to have some form of physical backup too, just in case. Even a master backup of your library which you can put away in a draw.

The next question is that if I am to download a new album, say from BandCamp, onto my Air, open in iTunes and then Match again, will it add my newly added album to the Match Cloud along with all the stuff already there?

Correct.

This, again, is what I used to do myself. I'd have my matched library (streaming, not downloaded), purchase a new album, add to my iTunes Library, Match/Upload, add to my master backup, then delete the local copy from my Macbook Air.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.