iTunes media downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LadyX, Mar 24, 2013.

1. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I can't download any media from the iTunes Store on my MacBook Air because it's full. So I was wondering if I can set iTunes to automatically save the downloads on my hard drive? For example, if I downloaded a whole or even an episode from a season, iTunes automatically starts the download and the files are saved on my MacBook and I have no space anymore.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You shouldn't let your boot drive fill up, as it can impede performance. You should free up some space on your boot drive, not just for downloads, but for proper operation of your Mac.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

3. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Your post in the other thread is very helpful but what about my question. Can I enable iTunes to download contents purchased from the iTunes Store on my external hard drive?

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No

No, but you can point your music folder toward that drive.

But if it's iCloud, watching and then deleting it from you computer would work.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can change the location of your iTunes Media folder in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced. That will only apply to downloaded music, however. AFAIK, there is no way to change the download location for all iTunes store downloads, which would include apps, podcasts, books, etc. They download to different locations, based on the type of media.

6. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Ok, thank you both. My music is already on my external hard drive