iTunes media folder question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mikext, Jan 23, 2012.

1. mikext macrumors newbie

I've noticed that in my iTunes Media folder that some of my albums are split into two separate folders: one for the .mp3s and a folder for the .jpg of the album artwork. Why does it do this? Can I stop it from happening? It kind of bugs me. This might be a normal thing. Before Lion, i kept all my music files on an external hard drive and didn't really pay attention/use to the media folder.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't do a thorough search on this.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you download artwork from iTunes, it stores it in a separate folder. If you manually add album art to songs in your library, it stores the artwork in the .mp3 files themselves. I manually add artwork of higher quality than iTunes will download, by searching via Google or using sites like Album Art Exchange.

3. mikext, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

mikext thread starter macrumors newbie

I have never downloaded the album art from iTunes and always dragged and dropped the artwork. would this cause it as well?

It also just dawned on me that, in a.rar file i have downloaded, the image (.jpg) for the artwork is already in the folder. when I put the album file in to the media folder, could this cause the album folder to split into two folders?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where exactly did you drag and drop it? It shouldn't create copies of artwork in separate folders, unless you actively make it do so, such as using a script from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, which is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

5. mikext thread starter macrumors newbie

drag and drop or copy and paste into the "drag artwork here" area

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't create the separate artwork folders you're seeing. Have you installed any apps to help you manage artwork or metadata or other iTunes-related apps?

7. mikext thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. I do it all manually.

8. mikext thread starter macrumors newbie

while we're at it, my album artwork won't show up on the songs on my iPod while in iTunes. They work fine on the iPod, but they don't show up on my iPod on iTunes.