Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david martin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I have two computers and want to use the same media library. I have been trying to relocate and merge my music library onto my WD my book live NAS. I followed the steps on apples website and successfully changed the itunes media folder location to the NAS and "consolidated files" in the organize folder dialogue box on both computers. I know both computers are currently looking on the NAS in the same media folder when itunes is launched, but each computer can only see the media relocated from the source computer. I suspect the problem is in the "itunes library" file still located in the default itunes folder on my local drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

david martin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Over 500 views and no suggestions? I can't imagine I'm the first to try this. I guess I can start drag and dropping iTunes files into the NAS folder, but I'm shooting in the dark.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Question: Why didn't you just use home sharing?

Anyways, the problem is most likely in the itunes library file. It remembers all your original settings, file locations etc. My fix for this was to make a new library and just re import all the music. I assume there is a better method. Just a suggestion.

david martin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Here is a video called How to move an iTunes library to an external drive. Use this procedure to formulate your own plan.

I have already successfully relocated the iTunes media folder to the NAS, but I can not access the media files added by another computer. I know both computers are looking in the same folder on the NAS because any new music I add to the library on either computer shows up there.

david martin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Question: Why didn't you just use home sharing?

Anyways, the problem is most likely in the itunes library file. It remembers all your original settings, file locations etc.

My brother and I use home sharing but we do not want to share each others playlist.

I agree, I think the problem might be with the itunes library files. I don't know what to do. I guess I wil try copying some library files to the NAS.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have already successfully relocated the iTunes media folder to the NAS, but I can not access the media files added by another computer. I know both computers are looking in the same folder on the NAS because any new music I add to the library on either computer shows up there.

Know your file system. Remember that saying when changing your network. Plus read the article How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS to learn what you need to do when moving iTunes media to a NAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.