iTunes media location NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by geordie didds, May 26, 2013.

1. geordie didds macrumors newbie

I keep changing the location to my NAS drive but iTunes (latest update) on both MacBook (2008, 10.7.5) and my MacBook Pro (2012) keep reverting back to the default location of Users/Music/.......

Any ideas as how to stop this as when songs download I then have to copy over....they should stay in the same library location....

Thanks

D

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do not use a NAS as a location for my iTunes library... but I think if iTunes starts and your computer is not connected to the NAS... then iTunes will create a new library location at the default location.

/Jim

3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I have my iTunes library on a HDD connected to my Time Capsule. When I first launch iTunes I need to play a song to make sure the HDD mounts. After that, I can download or import music and it goes into the library on the HDD. Otherwise, it creates a new library on the internal drive.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Have you tried keeping the actual iTunes library on your Mac... but setting it manage "iTunes Media" on the NAS?

My iMac has the 768GB SSD and I do not want to use the space for iTunes media (since it simply does not need SSD speeds)... so I have the library on my SSD, but iTunes media is on my Pegasus RAID array. In my case, my array is a DAS (connected via Thunderbolt)... but it works perfectly.

/Jim

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I stand corrected. Library is on the internal drive, media is on the HDD connected to the Time Capsule.

6. geordie didds thread starter macrumors newbie

Jim - many thanks. I think this could be it as sometimes can take a while for the NAS to be seen if it's been in sleep mode. Would have thought there should be a check by iTunes but.....