iTunes media on server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by patseguin, Mar 31, 2012.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Is it possible to have all of my iTunes media stored on my NAS instead of the local machine? This way my ATV and othe devices can access media without th iMac being on all the time.

2. meget macrumors member

What about iTunes match? I think it stores all of it on the internet and any other apple device can play it back from there? 25 buck per year i think, cheap deal if you ask me.

3. LaWally macrumors 6502a

ATV requires a connection to your iTunes library on your Mac to play local iTunes content. ATV does not need a connection to your iTunes library or your Mac to play purchased content from the cloud.

4. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I do use iTunes match but I would like to somehow have all my media stored on my Synology Diskstation and accessible by my XBMC media center. It would be nice if I didn't have to leave the Mac on in order to do it.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

1) Non-jailbroken ATV needs to have iTunes running from a computer to access local media. As stated, the iCloud feature will give you access to all your iTunes purchased/matched content without a computer being left on.

2) As for the XBMC modification, I believe that should be able to access compatible files directly from a NAS. Anything with DRM (iTune purchased/rented movies and TV shows) probably will not be accessible to the XBMC software.

Between the two, you should have access to all your iTunes matched and XBMC compatible media without a computer running.

6. cdte92 macrumors newbie

Instructions can be found at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92814

I've used this on my Apple tv2/XMBC to play content off my Synology NAS

7. Ifti macrumors 68000

Check my videos on YouTube (link in sig).
    I have created a video that shows you exactly how to install XBMC on your ATV2, and then connect it to your NAS for all content etc. I also have a Synology NAS so can confirm it works.

Also, if you an an iPad or iPhone, you can play media from your Synology NAS directly, and then AirPlay this across to your ATV2, all without having to keep your mac switched on. Again, I have created videos on this as well ;)

I don't want to link to them as the mods may think I'm advertising etc, so I will let you browse at your leisure if you wish to do so.