iTunes Media Server, in conjunction with Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frozn1, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Frozn1 macrumors newbie

iTunes has the capability of streaming its contents to other computers and iTunes applications. Then, shouldn't you be able to set up a wireless media server to a device like the PS3 (I don't have a 360, no idea if that works). Does your computer need to have a certain set of sharing functions selected to work properly? Whenever I try to find a media server from my PS3 it never finds my iMac. Any help? :confused:

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

a company called Nullriver has a product called Medialink (i think, or something close to that), that allows your PS3 to see your itunes library. I used to use their connect360 program to stream to my xbox 360. It's not free, but works well and is worth the price.

3. Frozn1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked out their website and I'm gonna try the program. Thanks for the tip! If anyone has the same question I do try this program. You can share your entire media collection with your PS3 and take it everywhere you go (with wifi and a PSP of course :D). You can also stream HD content. Thanks again.

4. Tuta macrumors member

Tuta

i also just bought medialink as well -- excellent program but I need a little newbie help to make sure i have my mac's sleep settings correctly.

what I'd like to have happen is whenever the ps3 searches for a server for the mac to wake and serve up the media library as normal. should i uncheck the box where it says "turn hard drives off whenever possible"

curious to see how others have this set up.

thanks!