iTunes Media Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scarletriddle33, Feb 23, 2012.

1. scarletriddle33 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

So, I'm planning on purchasing a new macbook pro soon and will then have an older one sitting around. What I wanted to do with it was basically set up something like my own iTunes match but with with the added functionality of tv shows and movies streaming. I've been looking for this for months and can't really seem to find a tutorial that suits the requirements.

For a while I hooked up my external HD (that i use to store my iTunes media) to the AEBS but it was extremely slow and I had no easy way of getting to it via iPhone or iPad.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use a Mac mini as a media server, using Plex to manage and play movies and TV shows. I still manage music with iTunes and use AirPlay to play music on my home entertainment speakers.

3. scarletriddle33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I can't get the 3g working I think because of the computer being setup on the university's wireless. I'll have to try it again when I'm home for the summer.

Also, is there a way to do this natively through iTunes? I suppose not, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask.

4. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

I use a mac mini and run all video through MPlayerX and occasionally VLC.

I just revisited Plex and although it looks pretty it was too difficult to get to a show quickly. I prefer the more direct method of Finder. Also, many of the selling points is the TV streaming of comedy central et al... all of which are blocked in Canada, which is a disappointment (yes, a proxy could overcome this but I don't have the time to get it / keep it working).

For streaming I use VLC Streamer ($1 or $2 AppStore) and I've got to say, it works exactly as I want it to (the new update to it has completely ironed out the bugs I used to have with it).

For music I use iTunes and the wife uses SongBird (as close to WinAmp as we've been able to come).

It's a simple setup and works very well.

I've even VPN'd in and streamed from the mini and it worked great.

Also, VLC Streamer allows for amazingly quick transfer to your iPod / iPhone via WiFi, so if you need to run, you can transfer and be driving out your driveway while the movie / tv show is zipping along to your device.

For remote control there are tons of apps (we used to use Control! by BananaGlue) but we ended up just using a logitech dinovo mini.

Let us know how you make out!

Always interested in knowing how others sort this out... as it is a big topic and one that is only going to grow in popularity. Maybe the AppleTV 3 will solve some of these issues? But I doubt it as many of the videos etc. that are being watched aren't coming from the Apple stores... so I think a more versatile solution is in order....

5. scarletriddle33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've been toying with plex and vlc streamer but neither of them are totally what I want. VLC is only movies/tvshows and plex has lots of trouble with my router and seeing the server without wifi. It seems that what I hope for isn't yet out there. When I have some free time over the summer I think I might try to tackle the problem myself.

I wonder how long (if ever) it'll be before itunes match will include movies/tvshows... is that even legal? I suspect there might be some intellectual property issues lol...

6. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

By this I understand that you will be creating your own interface and backend code to offer something better than Plex or Boxee?

That's an ambitious project.

I wish you luck.

Let us know how that goes.