iTunes/Media sharing in college dorm

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ngme92, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ngme92 macrumors newbie

My college blocks iTunes sharing over their network.
    What solutions can you think of that would enable me and my dorm-mates to have a networked iTunes library that everyone can use (upload, download, browse) from any computer.
    I'm thinking of networking a mac mini and using it just for iTunes sharing...
    If iTunes won't work, can you think of any media sharing alternatives? NOT file sharing

2. Guzzie macrumors newbie

Mojo is what I used, the trick is finding a version below 3.6 as they gimped the final version to only allow streaming.

Attached is version 3.4, it should auto-update to 3.5 which is good too. Everyone at my university used this, its a pity development ended.

The file below is for mac only, there is a windows compatible version floating about too.

http://www.fileserve.com/file/YTjtAAe

Has perfect iTunes compatibility imports everything nicely, nothing else like it.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

Does the iTunes license permit this? Perhaps your college has a reason for blocking iTunes sharing.

4. ngme92 thread starter macrumors newbie

well it wouldn't be any different the home sharing feature and iTunes obviously allows sharing, it's my school that doesn't

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

It seems very different. You can contact Apple Legal for clarification.

6. Guzzie macrumors newbie

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/itunes.pdf

Its the OP's responsibility to determine if he has the rights to share the files he has in his possession.

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

This article from Apple suggests that sharing your library on your local dorm network is OK (with Apple). Note that this is different from Home Sharing. And, of course, your college seems to have a policy of its own that you need to abide by.